+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stillwater Tenkara

Hybrid View

Default Stillwater Tenkara

My wife is (due to my age) starting to request that I fish stillwaters for now. Although I am not a Tenkara purist (with rods/flies/line) I do use some of the flies.
    The question is what Tenkara flies do you find most 'rewarding' in catching fish? I am in the Mid-Atlantic (MD) is that is helpful for your replies. Thank you for your helpful suggestions.

Blog Entries

larryg,

You don't have to restrict yourself to just 'Tenkara' style flies. Almost any fly that is good on still waters or moving waters for that matter, would be effective.

Having said that, many of the Tenkara style flies are tied in a soft hackle style, even if some of those hackles are reversed from the usual soft hackle. These types of flies can be very effective on still waters especially when the fish are slurping the emergers.

Have fun finding out.

By the way, there is saying that most fish are caught within 35 feet. So, you take a 14 to 16 foot Tenkara rod, with 16 to 18 feet of line/leader and you are casting within the zone most fish are caught. Just a thought.

Larry ---sagefisher---

Sagefisher that is sage advice; so practical; thanks. I like the Tenkara style flies & believe their action is very 'realistic'. I actually enjoy 'fly casting'; I find it very
    rhythmic to the soul & although you are probably correct about the distance at which fish are the action of a Fiberglass fly rod is enjoyable.
    Thanks again for the ideas; they are noted in my log book.

Default "Purple Nurple Killer Bug"

Quote Originally Posted by larryg View Post
    My wife is (due to my age) starting to request that I fish stillwaters for now. Although I am not a Tenkara purist (with rods/flies/line) I do use some of the flies.
    The question is what Tenkara flies do you find most 'rewarding' in catching fish? I am in the Mid-Atlantic (MD) is that is helpful for your replies. Thank you for your helpful suggestions.
    Well, I have to say that I'm not familiar with the Mid-Atlantic states, but my wife and I really enjoy using "purple nurple" killer bugs that we tie. We use a size 12, style 1120 Daiichi scud-style hook, about 8 wraps of .015 lead-free wire, chartreuse thread base, with purple haze yarn over that. (You can get the yarn from Chris Stewart at TenkaraBum, plus some other sources.) I also wrap the bug with small chartreuse wire, finished with the chartreuse thread as a "hot spot." Don't know if purists would call it a "tenkara fly," but we've caught lots of fish with it under a variety of conditions. It has a moderate sink rate, and the chartreuse plus purple colors seem to work well. I'd say any kind of Utah killer bug or old-style Sawyer killer bug is a nice go-to fly.

HeartO'Texas; thank you very much for that suggestion. I will follow up on it.

Quote Originally Posted by HeartO'Texas View Post
    Well, I have to say that I'm not familiar with the Mid-Atlantic states, but my wife and I really enjoy using "purple nurple" killer bugs that we tie. We use a size 12, style 1120 Daiichi scud-style hook, about 8 wraps of .015 lead-free wire, chartreuse thread base, with purple haze yarn over that. (You can get the yarn from Chris Stewart at TenkaraBum, plus some other sources.) I also wrap the bug with small chartreuse wire, finished with the chartreuse thread as a "hot spot." Don't know if purists would call it a "tenkara fly," but we've caught lots of fish with it under a variety of conditions. It has a moderate sink rate, and the chartreuse plus purple colors seem to work well. I'd say any kind of Utah killer bug or old-style Sawyer killer bug is a nice go-to fly.
    Hey HeartO'TX, any chance you could post a photo of the Purple Nurple? I just bought some purple haze and I think I've got an idea as to your pattern but a photo would be great.

Thanks!

-FFB

larryg,

I have been successful with a Dry / Dropper rig (http://www.northcarolinasportsman.co...ls.php?id=5243) with a Tenkara rod.

Dry Flies
    #12-#14 Parachute Adams (http://www.charliesflyboxinc.com/fly...fm?parentID=32)
    #12-#16 Hi Viz Griffith's Gnat (http://intheriffle.com/fishing-video...griffith-gnat/)

Dropper (Bead Head Nymph)
    #14-#16 Bead Head Pheasant Tail (http://www.stoneriveroutfitters.com/...BHPT_NYMPH.htm)
    #14-#18 Chromie (http://www.flysandguides.com/how-to-...ns-the-chromie)
    #16-#18 Davy Wotton Whitetail Super Midge (https://theozarkflyfisher.com/shop/d...il-Super-Midge) - Don't forget all red body and red Marabou tail.

I will separate the Dry and Dropper anywhere from 1 foot to 5 feet for stillwater.

Thanks

Vinny

Thanks Vinny

larryg,

What kind of fish are you going after?

Thanks

Vinny

Talking Would a better word description work?

Quote Originally Posted by flyfishbeck View Post
    Hey HeartO'TX, any chance you could post a photo of the Purple Nurple? I just bought some purple haze and I think I've got an idea as to your pattern but a photo would be great.<br>
    <br>
    Thanks!<br>
    <br>
    -FFB
    <br><br>Sorry to report that I'm "in-between cameras," as they say, right now. But let me see if I can do a better job of describing the fly: 1. First, I start with the size 12 style 1120 Daiichi hook. 2. I wrap 8-10 wraps of size .015 wire toward the front of the hook.&nbsp; 3. I then cover the lead-free wire and hook with 6/0 chartreuse thread down to the bend of the hook. Make sure that you have created a nice, tapered body of chartreuse thread.&nbsp;4. Next, I catch in the purple haze yarn at the bend of the hook and also catch in a 4" piece of small chartreuse wire. 5. I advance the chartreuse thread to the eye of the hook and secure with a couple of half-hitches so old fumble-fingers here doesn't unravel the thread over the eye. 6. Then, I wrap only one layer of the purple yarn forward and secure with a couple of turns of the thread. Be sure&nbsp;not to&nbsp;crowd the eye of the hook so you can leave room for the "hot spot." 7. Next, wrap the chartreuse wire forward over the&nbsp;yarn and secure with the thread. (I don't "counter-wrap" the wire, though you could, and I probably should. I just go in the same direction as the yarn with about 6 wraps of the chartreuse wire.) 8. Finally, I&nbsp;create a nice, generous chartreuse hot spot with the thread, whip finish, and apply&nbsp;a dab of head cement to the hot spot.&nbsp; Hey, maybe someone WITH a camera can try to follow my directions and post a picture! Hope this helps at least a little. It's a great version of the killer bug that's been very effective in our warm, stained waters. After bluegills chew on&nbsp;it a little, the chartreuse thread shows through the yarn, and the fish seem to like it even better.&nbsp;<br type="_moz">

+ Reply to Thread