Quote Originally Posted by JohnScott View Post
( from 6-7-16 )

Now if I can just catch a chinook salmon on an FEB dry, I will have caught my home water's grand slam ** on an FEB platform fly. Fat chance of that happening.

John

** West Slope cutthroat; bull trout; mountain whitefish; Clearwater B-run steelhead; steelhead cutthroat hybrid; and chinook salmon.
... or fat chances come and go.

A couple days ago, I was fishing an FEB salmonfly on a stretch just below an IDF&G salmon hatchery facility. The chinooks have been showing up at Walton Creek for the past couple weeks in increasingly large numbers, up to about 25 to 30 per day most recently.

The fly drifted down into an area mostly shaded but with large patches of sunlight. A very large, very dark form rose to the fly and hit it, but let go immediately. Nanosecond contact with a chinook before it sank into the depths and the shadows.

Oh well, fishing for the local cutthroat trout with a 4 wt rod with 4X tippet left me undergunned for a session with one of those guys* anyway. Something was going to give at some point, and I'd just as soon it be contact as some part of my outfit.

John

* The "jacks" are under 24" and the real deal salmon typically run from the low 30 inches to over 40 inches. The one that hit the fly was the real deal.