.... but still a bit early for salmonflies for most of the streams and rivers in this neck of the woods.

We had a really cold winter, starting in early December, with a bunch of snow. Didn't fish at all from late November until getting in just a few days, mostly getting skunked, last month.

A week ago I had to snowshoe into one of my favorite places on my home water. Yesterday I could walk in on mostly bare ground everywhere I fished.

Fished the FEB Salmonfly and got lots of action in several different places. But I guess the fish were out of practice - they hit the fly aggressively but didn't hook up. A low hook up rate kind of goes with this pattern, and other FEB patterns, which is generally fine with me, but going 0 for 12 was a bit surprising.

The salmonfly hatch, where there is one, is usually short lived. Fortunately, the near sighted, color blind, dumb and starving trouts I chase will go for the FEB Salmonfly pattern almost year round. Change it up sometimes over the course of the season with different sizes and colors for skwalas, golden stones, hoppers, and October caddis.

John