+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DOES PRICE MATTER? - Neil - Apr 3, 2016

Blog Entries

Default DOES PRICE MATTER? - Neil - Apr 3, 2016

DOES PRICE MATTER?

I always enjoy scanning the threads that are posted on the FAOL bulletin board. It provides me with a sense of what is on the minds of our readers. There are several reoccurring themes; mostly ones that really do not have an answer that will satisfy everyone. One of those recent themes involves fly rods; are more expensive rods worth the cost? These discussions take me back nearly 50 years to when I first started conducting fly fishing clinics with the late JC.

You nailed the answer in my opinion. I had heard JC make similar remarks before and it is strike on. Thanks.
    God Bless America

Blog Entries

Always interesting and nobody is going to change his/her opinion.

In the mid-60's, I got my first car. A 10+ year old 1951 Chevy 2-door. The car rode terrible. You felt every bump. It was built without turn signals, but had a retrofit set strapped to the steering column. It had no air conditioning. It had only an AM radio. It was a manual transmission column shifting transmission.

Thankfully, cars have come a long way since then. They are much more comfortable, much more fuel efficient, have engines which last many more miles, have lots of creature comforts; i.e., climate control (often front and rear separately), beautiful sound systems, very smooth riding, much safer, etc., etc.

I think technology in design and materials for fly rods (in general) tends to also produce more enjoyable fly fishing rods, vises, vests, nets, and all form of equipment...in my opinion.

Deja vu.

Here is where I sit. I personally feel the Martin MG-7 reel is one of, if not "the" nicest single action reels ever built. You can still find them around for a $50 bill in near miint if you look. I have never found the need in freshwater to have a drag system.....personally.

That being said, technology has brought along cnc machining and hard anodizing. An improvement over painting stamped metal? Sure. So along come new versions of an old design. Cool. For $100-120 range I'll buy the machining and anodizing. But then you have other top end "brands" thT offer the same thing for $250-400? Better than the $120 reels. Well, no. Unless you feel the "brand" is worth "$200-300" alone.

Is the new technology producing a "better" version? Sure. But wben a brand doubles or triples the top end of the same product? "Better" becomes very subjective.

Blog Entries

Ralph, I think the Martin was my first reel. It served me well. My favorite for the last 20-30 years is my Hardy Princess. Such a smooth beautiful reel!
    It wasn't quite so expensive when I bought mine (even allowing for inflation, I think), but now, I think they are $300+, but believe they would be well worth it at that price.
    Last edited by Byron haugh; 04-10-2016 at 09:35 PM.

At one point in my working career, I spent about a year working in Ferrari in North America, which included visits to the largest Ferrari dealers in the US and Canada. At the time, the various model Ferraris, for road (not race track) use, sold from about $125,000 (the "cheapest" model) to about $750,000.

An interesting thing about many of those Ferraris was that they weren't always reliable and dependable, and I spent several weeks doing a review of a number of those cars returned under state Lemon Laws. It was interesting to me that a number of my colleagues held the view that customers who bought a Ferrari were buying it for the "Ferrairi mystique", as much or more so than for Ferraris being reliable transportation.

Although most all of the fly rods that I use today are the so-called upper end brands , I look at many of these fly rods the same as I look at those $100,000+ automobiles. Those fly rod companies spend a lot of advertising $$ to create a lot of mystique about their rods to make you think their rods are worth the money, and perform better, when that ain't necessarily true, IMO.

p.s. Bet many of us don't know that a lot of Rolls Royce's leak oil either.

I have a gift 4 piece 6 wt fly rod that cost the dealer $45 and sells for $129-$139
    If it had a warranty it would sell for three or more times the price.

Twenty + years ago, I traveled some 1400 miles to visit an old co-worker who had retired - he had a place on a secluded river that was great trout fishing. To get there (all I had was an extra long 4-day weekend) required my flying - changing major airlines, then to third smaller commuter. I always carry a handbag (learned by harsh experience) that I can carry on board with me and has all the essentials; and I checked the larger bag with my 4-piece rod in a stout rod case inside, along with the reel and all the other fly fishing bric-a-brac. And what would you expect, the checked bag was not along with me when I got there! Lord only knows where it might have went.
    What to do? The next morning (call to the airport reveals no bag), so off to buy some temporary equipment. I ended up with a Pflueger IM-6 rod, a Martin MT-56 reel, the lowest priced Cortland line and I know it all cost less then a hundred bucks. Most importantly, I was amazed at what a great combination it turned out to be! Caught lots of trout, ended up shipping the gear home. Still have the rig in my fly rod arsenal and still use it from time to time, albeit I upgraded the line sometime back to a Cortland 444 "Peach" ~ which made it cast even better! If push came to shove, and this combination was all I was to ever have from this point on, I could live with it. Let me say, too, about the MT-56 Martin reel - I was (and still am) so pleased it was made in the USA (sad to say the rod was made in China). Also, I have a reel that cost me at least seven times as much as the Martin. True, it has a smoother action to it, a disc brake, looks and was machined better for sure, but as the old teaching I came out of - (I'm old school stripper!) - The reels simply store the line! My emphasis is mostly on the rod and line action.

Blog Entries

Here's a question I would pose:

If you were given a choice of selecting a new fly rod (at not cost to you) with the proviso that you could not sell it or give it to anyone else. It was yours for as long as you live, but only for you......The two choices are: 1. You can select any new fly rod you wish at less than $300; or 2. You can select any new fly rod you wish at $500 to $900. Which rod would you want to select, and why?
    Thanks

Under $300?...that's easy...

A mint condition/barely used Orvis Superfine Henry's Fork...to match my Far-and-Fine. It's the only Graghite rod I have any desire to buy.

Or the new Fenglass 7'9" 6wt....$249 I believe?

I would like a new Orvis Superfine glass 8'5wt. I could buy it now, but I can't justify it with 3 other 5wt glass rods sitting here. But for free....I would grab it.....$395?

Why?.....two reasons.

I think the old Superfines are the nicest casting Graghite rods on the planet....and I like shorter glass rods.

And personally.....aside from a custom made Boo? I don't feel there is a fly rod out there that justifies $500...let alone more. Just my opinion though.

+ Reply to Thread