+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Advice needed

Hybrid View

Question Advice needed

When I watch a tying video that uses peacock herl the material looks great. When I mail order some it looks sad. I find that ordering eyes gives me a little better quality but the strands are thinner. My question is, Since I shop by mail, how do I access the better grade stuff? A second question relates to the newer Whiting Brahma Hen hackles. All of my necks and saddles from Whiting are beautifully trimmed with great care. The Brahma series of hen skins are really sad .The workmanship in dressing them out is pitiful. Are these imported from overseas like the other $5 hen necks we see coming from the orient or are they really a newer domestic line being worked on?

Blog Entries

Ray,
    I would never buy the strung peacock. Best to order the whole feather. Obviously best to pick it out in person. There are shops which you can call and describe the attributes you want before placing your order. They will usually pick something out that will meet your needs or tell you they don't have any.
    I know what you mean, though.

Ray,

Im a huge fan of the Brahma line. Are you getting just a neck when ordering? Or the skin?

In addition, the advertising is very confusing. the pics always show nicely variegated feathers as you'd expect but never show the plain neck feathers that you see in folks tying Youtubes. Also it seems that there many dyed colors of the full back with the attached "bou" but no pics of a simple neck or saddle. Whiting should really get his act together. I'd still like to know why they are all dressed out so poorly.

I have 4-5 necks all with bou attached. They are all dressed nice? I have not bought one for about a year, but they are all top quality. Is this more recent?

Ray, if I remember right, a couple years ago ScottP mentioned in one of his posts that he steams his herl before tying.

+ Reply to Thread