+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Desgin a fly fishing multi-tool

Default Desgin a fly fishing multi-tool

I love good tools that can do multiple things, but have seen very few that work that well for fly fishing specifically. I would like a tools with a good knife blade (I hate bad knives) that can be opened with one hand, a pair of scissors, a diamond grit file and maybe a good retractable or folding fly remover. I have thought about clippers, scales, measuring tape or pin to pick out tangles and clean hook eyes.

My question is if you could design a tool what would you include on it?
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

I had one I truly loved that was confiscated by the TSA in Midland Texas airport. I found one similar on ebay and bought it. Problem is it's not easy to open and get to knife blade and other tools like the one I had. Also when using scissors I almost always pinch my fingers with the handles and end up with blood blisters. The one I had taken away was a Leatherman. The one from ebay is a cheap facsimile. Invent one Uncle Jesse. I'll buy it. Jim
    I'm either going to, coming from or thinking about fishing. Jim

I hear ya' Uncle Jesse. I have thrown a whole bunch of Leatherman tools into the trash over the years and now stick with these items, I have picked up over the years, to go in my vest:

P
    T/TB
    Daughter to Father, "How many arms do you have, how many fly rods do you need?"
    http://planettrout.wordpress.com/

PT, I really like the Orvis scissors you have that is a good starting point, a knife with tanto style blade that would push out on the opposite side would put me at least half way to the tool I would like. A hook hone and a half hitch tool/ eye cleaner could be incorporated as fold out tools. About a 0.75 in. diameter or oval shaped, knurl finish.

Jim, Google "Walton's Thumb" that is a do it all type tool, now available from Creek Company. To me they tried to put too much stuff in one tool and it will not be one hand operated.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Jesse, I've seen Walton's thumb and it looks dandy except for too much stuff in a square inch. I had sticker shock tho. I won't pay that much for something if I can't drive it. Jim
    I'm either going to, coming from or thinking about fishing. Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Jesse View Post
    PT, I really like the Orvis scissors you have that is a good starting point, a knife with tanto style blade that would push out on the opposite side would put me at least half way to the tool I would like. A hook hone and a half hitch tool/ eye cleaner could be incorporated as fold out tools. About a 0.75 in. diameter or oval shaped, knurl finish.

Jim, Google "Walton's Thumb" that is a do it all type tool, now available from Creek Company. To me they tried to put too much stuff in one tool and it will not be one hand operated.
    Yep...I had one of those back in the day and it wound up on the bottom of a river, someplace, when I went swimming...

http://www.waltonsthumb.com

PT/TB
    Daughter to Father, "How many arms do you have, how many fly rods do you need?"
    http://planettrout.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by planettrout View Post
    Yep...I had one of those back in the day and it wound up on the bottom of a river, someplace, when I went swimming...

http://www.waltonsthumb.com PT/TB
    I know what you mean, we all own so much stuff that doesn't float.

I keep a Micro-Fish Tool by Coast in my vest that does most of what you talked about, but it is certainly not one handed. You might be on to something here for a bright inventive fly fisher to come up with. However, you may have to take out a loan to purchase it when it's done. Good luck.
    God Bless America

+ Reply to Thread