+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tilapia

Hybrid View

Default Tilapia

Tilapia are everywhere in Florida's fresh waters. You can find them in most every pond, river, creek, lake or canal. Most of the time, you see them on large, circular beds along the shoreline.
    Although I've caught lots of tilapia, all were incidental. I don't target them; I catch them while fishing for other species.
    I catch most on nymphs under a strike indicator or on my Myakka Minnow.
    On a recent trip, I landed the largest tilapia I've ever hooked. Took place on Lake Manatee near my home in Sarasota, Fla. The fish hit a No. 12 black, bead-head nymph I was casting on a 2-weight.
    Wasn't sure what it was when I hooked it. I knew it was different. We had been catching hand-sized bluegill in a protected cove. However, this fish was large and strong.
    I back-paddled away from the vegetation along the shoreline to get the fish into open water. At first, I thought I'd hooked a channel cat, a species I encounter regularly on Lake Manatee. But this fish was slow and strong. Channel cats are also strong, but also quick and can make lengthy runs. After a couple of minutes, I was able to get a glimpse of the fish. It was a blue tilapia -- the largest I'd ever hooked.
    I played the fish carefully and was able to net it a few minutes later. Couldn't believe the size. I estimated it at four pounds.
    The tilapia hit a No. 12 black, bead-head nymph under a strike indicator.
    Anyone here have much luck on tilapia. Do you target them? Technique?

None around here, but we have heard they are more vegetarian than meat eaters.......? Do they get protective of those nests? Just might have to help experiment a bit when we get there.
    Carp used to be a different animal too.
    .....lee s.

I have caught several tilapia on the ponds here. Never target them and ocassionly catch a few on a fly. I have seem them many times chase and once in a while hook them on a small spinner bait. They react to spinners more than anything else. Think it annoys them more than being a food opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat View Post
    I have caught several tilapia on the ponds here. Never target them and ocassionly catch a few on a fly. I have seem them many times chase and once in a while hook them on a small spinner bait. They react to spinners more than anything else. Think it annoys them more than being a food opportunity.
    Aren't tilapia really good eating fish?

Quote Originally Posted by lastchance View Post
    Aren't tilapia really good eating fish?
    In my opinion, they are OK. A lot of fast-food type restaurants that serve fish sell Tilapia. This is typically what's in a fish taco at places like Ruby's in the West and low budget Mexican restaurants in the East. More up-scale places will usually have more expensive species of fish. Tilapia can be farmed very densely, and so they are economical for food.

To me they are somewhat bland and usually have at least a mild fishy-taste, but are not objectionable. The texture is a little bit rubbery compared to something like cod, walleye, or flounder, which I consider more flaky. I've read articles that complain how they don't have nearly the nutrients, particularly omega-3, that fish like salmon have.

I've never caught and eaten fresh tilapia, so my experience is chiefly the farmed mass-market variety and may be quite a bit different compared to wild fish.
    And wherever the river goes, every living creature that swarms will live, and there will be very many fish. Ezekiel 47:9

Blog Entries

omega 3 is found primarily in salt water fish, Talapia are farmed and will eat almost anything, I think Mike Rowe did a dirty jobs at a talapia farm where they were put in a tank down stream from other fish because they lived off the waste and other stuff the first fish didn't eat making them very economical to grow. My first thought when I saw this was yum fish tacos. Wish I could fish there.

Eric

a quick link, I might have to run south and try a canal this winter.

http://www.azgfd.gov/h_f/fish_tilapia.shtml

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/a...co-recipe.html
    another link on cooking
    Last edited by Eric-WD; 06-07-2016 at 09:42 PM.
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

+ Reply to Thread