+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anchor Fly?

Hybrid View

Default Anchor Fly?

In a two fly nymph rig, attaching the second fly to the hook shank of the first, which fly do you consider the anchor fly? Is it the fly you tie as the second nymph nearest the bottom of the steam?

In a two fly rig, the anchor fly is the first (usually heavily weighted) fly tied to the tippet to which, a lighter pattern is tied - off the eye or bend:

This is one of my favorite anchor patterns for heavy flows in the Spring:

HARE'S ICE ANCHOR BUG - TroutLegend J Competition Hook, #8

This is one version/diagram of the rigging:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-NOmVdv-0Ndg/VL75ZY5yMnI/AAAAAAAAHY4/G6KdnlKZ-t0/s1600/adjnymphrig.png

P
    T/TB
    Last edited by planettrout; 03-17-2016 at 08:13 PM.
    Daughter to Father, "How many arms do you have, how many fly rods do you need?"
    http://planettrout.wordpress.com/

Here in Michigan putting the weighted fly below the other fly without a dropper line to the upper fly would be legally considered a snagging rig. Even if that is not your intention you could be ticketed.
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

The first fly, tied to the tippet is my anchor. My Gold steak and eggs thread is my best example. Skittle is my anchor.

My inderstanding is that the anchor fly is the heaviest fly, regardless of it's position.

I like a pattern tied on a 1/80 to 1/132 oz. jig hook. A prince nymph, blue assassin, rainbow warrior all work good where I primarily fish for trout. The jig doesn't seem to snag as many roots and limbs as a bead head pattern. I have had the jig head really get hammered on a good float.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Quote Originally Posted by rainbowchaser View Post
    Here in Michigan putting the weighted fly below the other fly without a dropper line to the upper fly would be legally considered a snagging rig. Even if that is not your intention you could be ticketed.
    Jim,
    Good to know. Thanks.

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by lastchance View Post
    In a two fly nymph rig, attaching the second fly to the hook shank of the first, which fly do you consider the anchor fly? Is it the fly you tie as the second nymph nearest the bottom of the steam?
    Just happened to be reading ... http://troutbitten.com/2016/03/18/tags-and-trailers/ ... earlier today. Thought he had some interesting thoughts on rigging multiple nymphs that tie into this subject. For what it's worth, he says "The heaviest fly in my rig is ... the anchor".

By placing the heavier or anchor fly first, with the lighter or unweighted fly off the bend, it allows the dropper fly to drift more freely. Its drift will vary in depth as it travels dependant on the length of the dropper, often rising above the anchor.

If you want both or all (Colorado allows 3 flies) patterns to be at the same depth (moving water), make the anchor fly the closet to your leader. If you want one or more flies to ride higher in the water column, make the anchor fly the farthest from your leader. Both techniques work in different situations.

+ Reply to Thread