+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Downstream Chest Fly Box......Richardson Chest Fly Box

Blog Entries

Default Downstream Chest Fly Box......Richardson Chest Fly Box

Hi,

I had one of the original Richardson chest fly boxes. I sold it a year or so ago. I didn't care for the metal edges......seemed I was always catching myself on them.

I have been looking at the Downs Chest Fly Box.

I wonder what anyone who has had either of these thinks......particularly anyone who has the Downstream Products box.

Byron, I have long thought these fly boxes looked funny hanging off the chests of other fisherman.....

But now, I have a Downs and I have also just ordered a 3 tray "Richardson-like" box..... I use the downs, loaded with patterns for my local streams, when fishing in NY and PA.... I see a lot of other fisherman in PA using these and decided to give the Downs box a try. I picked one up on *bay for cheap and really liked it.... I got rid of the vest for the most part and the lanyard too.... my "stuff" just hangs from the box. In Montana I wanted something to replace the big side-front pockets used for my flies that are/were part of my "fly-fishing pack".... I do lots of hiking and I always have the pack with me.... I removed the front-side fly pockets, which were always in the way both hiking and fishing. Now the box will hang in the front and the pack on my back while I fish..... with my lunch, water bottles, camera, rain jacket, FAK, etc.... I'm getting the aluminum box for the rugged areas out West and it's a little bigger and can hold a few more flies per tray. When hiking into my fishing areas the fly box rides inside the pack out of the way......
    Doug... a.k.a. 55dougie

http://55onthefly.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries

Thanks Doug! I am going to give the Downs Box a try. The main reason is this: When I'm on the stream and having to change flies during a hatch, I hate fumbling through fly boxes in my vest to find the fly I think I need. First, I have to open pockets (zippered in my Filson, velcro'd in my Simms) and, often, I find the incorrect box and have to replace it and get another box. Not a problem when nothing is happening on the stream, but when fish are rising like crazy and I'm searching for that tan X-Caddis it seems to take forever, while balancing my rod and holding the tippet end of my leader.
    Last edited by Byron haugh; 03-10-2016 at 06:51 PM.

Agreed Byron, not to mention trying to do all those things in the cold while winter fishing..... changing flies now is easy.
    Doug... a.k.a. 55dougie

http://55onthefly.blogspot.com/

Been a quite a while but the 4 trays came in handy for sorting out the hatch from spinners to duns & nymphs which was great if only a few different hook sizes were needed for each pattern. Didn't seem to have to have any contortionist moves to avoid the boxes unless it was on a very tight overgrown creek. Not much difference between the metal or plastic outside of hemostats drumming from swinging other than a flashlight &/or floatant holder & some minor wet hook rusting stains .

The only down side to the 4 trays is you cant see down as well while wading. But other than that the downs box worked fore me.

Blog Entries

Thanks Chuck........where is most of your fishing? Do you have the set-up with the little side pouches? That would seem to negate the need for a vest entirely?

Right now i live in South Western Florida fishing in the mangroves around Sanibel island.I used my vest as well but did not carry boxes with flies so it was a lot lighter.
    You could try using a sling pack instead of a vest. While not in use it rides on your back.

Other than plastic weighing a little less than aluminum, not a lot of difference unless trays are ordered specifically designed for area hatches. Found the mini-box with swappable trays years ago as minimalist & convenient , but was under the impression Hawaii doesn't have "bugs". Top tray compartments are too small for saltwater.
    IMGP2103.jpg

Blog Entries

Dave,
    I live on the only island with a trout stream. Unfortunately, it is not conducive to fly fishing. Small stream and very brushy, in general.
    I don't fish the "flats" either. I mostly travel to the mainland when going fishing.
    Looks like you have enough outfits there! What is the brand name of the "mini-box"?
    Last edited by Byron haugh; 03-12-2016 at 03:35 AM.

+ Reply to Thread