The Roar

We drove by the sign. Barb saw it and begged me to turn around. The sign was small and seemed insignificant. I thought with such a small sign the waterfall must be tiny and not worth driving off our route. With a little prodding from Barb I turned off the autobahn and we followed all the tiny signs in to Golling Austria towards the waterfall.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Go...b6e52fa71d3646

The dorf was tiny and signs became farther apart and I doubted whether such a detour was warranted off our master plan.

We parked in what seemed like a gasthaus's lot and walked up this long paved cow path. Lots of cows had walked on it because of their decoration of the path.

I questioned the detour again and Barb assured me it would be worth it and to keep going.

Barb kept assuring me it was worth the hike. The small alpine stream below the falls sped by us at 100 miles per hour. A fall in this stream would surely be fatal. I felt the stream. It was ice cold. The glaciers upstream supplied the water for this torrent. We plodded on.

I could hear the roar of the waterfall. It seemed close and the steep alpine path became unpaved and less inviting. I stopped numerous times to catch my breath and complain. We were almost there she kept saying. 35 minutes later we could see it in the distance.

I had to actually see it and feel its beauty.

Another 30 minutes later we turned a corner and there it was.

I had never seen a waterfall before. This creation of mother nature was blasting down the alpine slope and crashing into the pool I stood no more than 30 feet from.

Its roar made it hard to hear and communicate with Barb but it was obvious to her that I was happy and impressed with this magnificent work of nature.

We stood there and took it all in. The waterfall crashing to the earth threw out a huge umbrella of mist and we were wet from standing there. We were both happy and awed. I never had seen a water fall in the alps on my bucket list. I don't understand now why I did not.