+ Reply to Thread

Thread: WHAT IS FLY FISHING? - Neil - Mar 07, 2016

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Default WHAT IS FLY FISHING? - Neil - Mar 07, 2016

WHAT IS FLY FISHING?

In the last issue I wrote an article entitled "The Fun Factor" in which I lamented some of the practices that I have recently observed while pursuing trout with a fly rod. I also quoted another angling writer who has observed the same things. Some of our readers took exception to my conclusions and perhaps I'm to blame for their reaction.

Good points Neil. Our sport does need more fly fishermen or women who love the sport and its resources

Blog Entries

Neil,
    I have been a fly fisher since the mid-70's. For the last 35+ years, I make my trek to the Henry's Fork and fish The Ranch as well as the Madison and streams in the Park.

There is a little informal "club" of us who meet there each summer and fish. One of the fellows is from the San Francisco area. He drives up each summer and stays in his camper van. He fishes every day from early June through September.

When things there slow down, he moves up to the Missouri, and then returns to Last Chance when things pick up around there.

We all love fishing and often get together in the evening at the Trout Hunter for a drink and to share the highlights of our day on the river. We all love the sport and most of the folks there in the evenings seem to love it as well.

I have met some young fishers on the river who seem just as passionate about our sport. I think the endeavor will be in good hands in the future.
    Last edited by Byron haugh; 03-08-2016 at 05:44 AM.

Byron,

JC and I fished the Henry's Fork at Last Chance in September 1971 and I have fished it over the years since that time. One of the things that I notice is the graying of the people in the groups that you describe. I see young people, some very dedicated to the sport, but those of us that are retirement age plus generally outnumber them. Fly fishing is not a sport that will consistently produce instant gratification without more than a modicum of effort.

Hope you have a great time when you visit this summer.

Blog Entries

Thanks Neil. I often get up to the Gardiner area and fish the Gardner in the park. A few times, my son and I have gotten up to Livingston.
    How is Ladyfisher? Hope all is well with you folks. When did you get back from Arizona?

Forgot to mention this: I think one reason there is a majority of "gray heads" at destination fishing places is that they/we have completed our child rearing and have the time to go "solo" on a fishing trip. if you travel to such places to fish, you usually are there for a minimum of a week given the cost/time to travel. I personally have had a very understanding wife who has always let me take my fishing trips. Many of my friends, however, had to wait until their family was raised and perhaps had reached retirement age.
    Last edited by Byron haugh; 03-08-2016 at 10:36 PM.

Byron,

The Ladyfisher struggles with arthritis but otherwise she is doing well. I'm very well, God has blessed me with very good health. We plan on being back in Livingston by the last week of April.

Thanks for your continuing support of FAOL.

+ Reply to Thread