+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Float Tube Advice

Default Float Tube Advice

I am debating between purchasing a Orvis day
    tripper, Fish Cat or a Super Fish Cat. Would aprreciate your opions on these. Thank you

I have the Fish Cat 4 and like it. I have only used it once, but when I was using it, the weather was crummy (wind). It floated pretty well despite the wind, which I contribute to the bow of the boat being at a point and somewhat slanted.

It is also light weight if you are needing to hike into a lake and it also has d-rings for back pack straps.

My opinion on the Fish Cat and Super Fish cat - having foam seats gives you one less thing you have to worry about deflating. With the Super Fish Cat, the bladders, seat and back rest are all inflated with air. So, if you ever have a mishap, at least the foam seats and back rest in the Fish Cat will stay afloat.

hope this helps.

------------------
    Tight lines,

Jeremy Barela
    www.customflys.com

Paul,

Best advice, when you buy any float tube, don't forget to buy a coast guard approved PFD
    [url=http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/Forum8/HTML/000080.html:04169]http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/Forum8/HTML/000080.html[/url:04169]

Also: [url=http://www.deltaflyfishers.com/pdf.htm:04169]http://www.deltaflyfishers.com/pdf.htm[/url:04169]

------------------
    Christopher Chin
    Jonquiere Quebec
    [url=http://www3.sympatico.ca/chris_chin/:04169]http://www3.sympatico.ca/chris_chin/[/url:04169]

[This message has been edited by fcch (edited 20 March 2005).]
    Christopher Chin

Paul,
    I had bought AND returned an Orvis Day Tripper. Keep in mind I am just 5'8" tall, but weigh 190. I had 2 problems with the tube...1) It was bulky & difficult to carry while inflated & 2) the seat was a thick, hard foam that was mounted horizontally...gave me fits slipping forward in it. I went with a Wood River Stealthrider SE & love it. It is easily packable with an adjustable seat. While I have never used a FishCat, I have never heard complaints, & they seem to be very well made.
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

Buy the Fish Cat!

I have a Day Tripper...got mine from Skeeter. Same thing as Orvis but probably cost less. The Water Skeeter folks seem to make their Day Tripper available to a variety of "house brands". Sometimes in different color schemes and sometimes different prices but always seems to be the same tube.

I got mine at Sportmart during a 40% off sale. Ended up paying about $120 for it I think (they took 40% off a previous sale price so I saved about a hundred bucks off list price at the time I think).

The seat is thick foam but it's not at all uncomfortable. The seat is intended to float if everything else fails and odds are it could hold me up fine (though I still bring a PFD since the local parks require one).

It's the only float tube I've used so I can't compare it with others. It is a bit bulky and a little clumsy to set up but works fine on the water.

For me, it was all about the price since it was discounted heavily, I was able to get a "better" tube on a smaller budget.

Have had 2 fish cat 4's for about 5 years; I fish about every 2-3 weeks. I tried other tubes (round and U) - down in the water too far. I think the fat cat would be even better but the price is much higher. I used to weigh 240, no problem. The only complaint that I have ever seen or heard about the fish cat is that the vinyl bladders can give out and are heavy. I still have the original bladders - patched some pin-holes a year or two ago. I am 46 and have gotten winded hiking 2 miles up a trail to a mountain lake - they are kind of heavy. The fat cat has urethane bladders - stronger and lighter. They are proven products. The daytripper is interesting but precarious looking - never tried it.

I have used a super fat cat for a few years,it has no sign of wear ,made of very tough stuff,only problem I've had is maybe not enought storage space in the pocket but a waterproof bag like kayak people use fit behind the seat.Make sure any fish cat or fat cat model is only one bladder not two separate bladder,for the fact that if both bladders are not the same inflated ie.(pin hole, leaking valves ,cold or hot weather,even altitude.)causes it to "track" funny (not straight).Also keep in mind sitting on top of the water you will get blown around alittle bit more if wind is present at your location!

I would say Fish Cat. Usually can't go wrong with a good brand name. Having said that, before I knew about Fish Cat's I bought a W.W. Craig Pond Tube Float tube for $89 @ Sportsman's Warehouse in Phoenix. Don't know actual weight but on my bathroom scale weighed 9 pounds out of the box but still sealed up in a celephane bag. Comes with back packing straps. I haven't used it that much, been out once in extreme weather with waves. Not a good experince for a rookie like me. One foot waves and all I did was fight the wind cause of inexperience and fowl weather too miserable to learn to adjust seat straps ect. I think I will like it when I get out on the lake with less wind, rain, hail and waves! Just FYI

------------------
    Plain old Jim, I'm Plain...and I'm old.

I've tried a few different tubes, and would emphatically suggest you get the Fish Cat or Super Fish Cat. I personally don't see the need to spend the extra money on the Super Fish Cat. My wife has a Fish Cat that I take every chance I get to go float tubing. She will only use that tube because it has the foam seat that will float her even if a miraculous event occurs and both bladders failed. I use it because its comfortable, easy to use and pack, affordable, keeps me mostly out of the water at 230 pounds (give or take a few).

+ Reply to Thread