+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who Remembers their first fly rod caught trout?

Can't say I remember my first fly caught trout specifically.. but I started fly fishing bass n bluegill.. I do have many trout experiences since but it's the pike, pickrel and carp that really standout in my mind.. and my largest Brookie taken on a favorite central pa stream few have ever heard of that I'll never name here because it holds all of the species I just mentioned.. that brookie was bright n beautiful n wild as they come as that stream doesn't get brook trout stockings.. n at 18 in.. I doubt I'll ever see another of that size!
    Last edited by billknepp; 03-03-2016 at 05:55 AM.
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

With over 60 years of fishing they all start to blend together and the large majority of my early trout were on worms, crawlers, spawn bags. However, one trout that really hooked me on fly fishing and rivers was about a 15" wild rainbow where I'd cast a wet Royal Coachman into a flats rolling curve with undercut bank. While I was trying to see if I could see my fly that trout drifted out from the undercut, took a feeding lane ate my fly. That fish stands out among so many and I think I was old enough to have driven to creek myself. Since then I've caught a lot of fish of all kinds on flies but never one to stand out in memory as that one. Little Sioux River, WI.

I believe it was a wee trout on a cane pole in Yellowstone park, circa 1959.

Summer vacation one year when I was younger then I am now lol before I moved to North Carolina

423779_389754881035416_1258276075_n (1).jpg

First trout, a littlle put-and-take stocker. On a fly I tied. Don't pay attention to the datestamp, I didn't have it set correctly. I didn't start flyfishing untill the Summer of 2011. I caught many bluegill, crappie and a couple of bass before I was able to catch this fella nearly a year later. The story: http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/s...49-First-Trout!
    Last edited by Luke McLeod; 03-06-2016 at 05:36 AM.
    Separate your observations from your preconceptions. See what is, not what you expect.

He ate well, but my Lab got hold of his entrails and rolled in them. It took two baths the next day to get the fish liver smell off of old Angus. He was a great dog, but he loved a good stink. I haven't killed a trout since.
    PC317156.jpg
    Separate your observations from your preconceptions. See what is, not what you expect.

Going on A GUIDED trip with the west Laramie fly Shop in May. My first attempt at fly fishing

I have to confess my first trout was caught out of season, but then quickly (and guiltily) released. It was 1967 or 1968 and in Spinner1's neck of the woods. I was going to school at Univ of Wisconsin - Platteville and there was this creek outside Plattevile where I went to practice casting. The rod was a Montgomery Wards fiberglass 8 footer which I still have and had a nondescript reel with a level 6wt, I think the fly was a "Mosquito".
    I started fly fishing for bluegill and now fish much less than I would like to.

Mike

It was May 1985 using my first deer hair popper on my first custom built rod that I had made. I'll never forget how the fish came from no where and ate that fly, but after the fish was released I quickly realized that I'd better perfect my hair spinning skills so I don't continue littering the lakes with deer hair after each fish caught............ha!
    What I will never forget though, was the personal HIGH of accomplishment by tying a fly, building a rod and catching a fish on that combination. I was truly hooked early that Saturday morning!
    David Parker
    Guild Certified Professional Rod Builder

Garmich 1959 on my honeymoon with a fly rod package from Japan that cost $10.00 sent by a friend in the Navy.
    I saw a trout in a little creek flowing into a lake. Couldn't resist, set the rod up, one cast and had it hooked and released before anyone caught me.

+ Reply to Thread