+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Montana Wild - A disgraceful film company

Hybrid View

Default Montana Wild - A disgraceful film company

I have followed Montana Wild on Facebook and their internet site and elsewhere for the past several years. They have produced a number of trout fishing and hunting videos, and published many outdoor pictures during that time.

Now, I see this: http://fwp.mt.gov/news/newsReleases/...t/nr_0275.html

What a shame! It is a crime what some people will do to take a pretty picture or video, or make another buck.

I hope all of their advertisers run away from these guys as fast as they can. They got off too easy with just a few thousand dollar fine, in my opinion. I think they should have been put in jail.

John

Now that its public, jail time would be irrelevant. Advertisement money will drop off and the business they were doing it for will fold.

They do make some valid points in their defense.
    http://www.montana-wild.com/a-statem...-montana-wild/
    ‎"Trust, but verify" - Russian Proverb, as used by Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by maodiver View Post
    They do make some valid points in their defense.
    http://www.montana-wild.com/a-statem...-montana-wild/
    I can understand where the regs may at times be unclear or misinterpreted, but to me the most serious alegations made against Montana Wild guys were...

"the fishing violations that took place on the South Fork Flathead River and its tributaries could have devastating impacts on the bull trout populations based on the over handling issue in which some fish were handled for up to 12 minutes or longer after they were in the net. In one instance a bull trout was caught, netted, handled and released (with the hook still attached) only to be fished again for underwater filming, concluding with the fish being netted, handled and released again."

Nowhere in Montana Wild's reply have they presented evidence to refute those claims.

I would say at a glance, that if they went to the lengths of acquiring the proper permits to fish, there w no "intent" demonstrated to violate the law.

Not picking sides, just pointing out what I've seen over the years.Which with game laws "usually" results in a fine, and nothing further.
    Last edited by NJTroutbum; 02-21-2016 at 04:34 PM.

Somehow " IGNORANCE" is no excuse unless there is NO excuse for IGNORANCE" is applicable here. My caveat, however, is that I have NOT viewed the film nor read the entire transcript of charges. From afar, it seems a tempest in a teapot.

Mark

It is always good to hear both sides of the story.

I had one of our crew come in from the field and tell me he had mentioned to one government employee that the property we were surveying for them looked like a good fishing spot. Well he jumped all over him and said he would be charged if found fishing there it was closed to fishing.
    I took particular interest in this because I fish there all the time.
    I followed up with head office and was informed that the local conservation agency does not have the right to impose no fishing regulations that was the purview of the next higher tier of government.
    Onto them.
    Yes there was a stretch of water that had been a sanctuary for a brief period 25 or so years before for an ill conceived experiment to reintroduce salmon but had long since been rescinded and it was perfectly legal to fish there.

So I can totally believe these fellows were misinformed by part of the agency. I guess it is just a matter of how far do you have to take your due diligence.

+ Reply to Thread