+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Thinking about a floatation device #2

Hybrid View

Default Thinking about a floatation device #2

OK, the pontoon is in the house (albeit still in the garage in its box), so I'm going to need a PFD. What do y'all use in such craft, float tubes, etc? I'll want something with ease of motion obviously, and maybe something that will allow a vest to be worn in conjunction? There seems to be a plethora of "fly fishing specific" models out there, and most seem a bit pricy. Is there any advantage to those, or is a regular old Wally World cheapie good enough? Thanks...
    There have never in history been so many opportunities to do so many things that aren't worth doing. - William Gaddis

For more than 15 years I have been wearing an inflatable PFD ves when fishing from a tube, pontoon, yak, or boat. It doesn't get in the way and it is always on my body. I use a manual model rather than an auto/manual model. The auto versions require a bit more maintenance and the bobbin that dissolves in moisture to trigger inflation needs to be replace yearly. The manual version requires that you pull a lanyard. Auto/manual versions also have the lanyard. I even wear them when fishing from a boat even though standard type PFDs are on board. A some of the inflatables are "low profile" and these are better for Flyfishing from a small watercraft.

Traditional non inflatable PFDs can ride up on you while fishing from a seated position. If you go that route look for a model designed for kayakers or paddlers.

I do not ever wear a fishing vest, chest pack, etc when fishing from any type of watercraft preferring to keep my gear in the watercraft's pockets or boat bags or othe storage systems. Besides interfering with an inflatable PFD wearable tackle storage may interfere with swimming if you do go in.

You can get them from Cabelas, Bass Pro, and most any marine or boating store, and many box box sporting goods stores and some Wal Marts Prices range from about $80 for models suitable for calm inland waters to many times that for models suitable for open ocean.

I really like the idea of having the PFD on at all times. I have never needed one but have been present a couple of times when someone else needed a PFD quickly and might have come to a bad end if there wasn't someone near at hand even thoug they had a PFD attached to their craft. I fished a couple of times with a PFD strapped to a tube or pontoon but was not comfortable with the idea that I might not be able to quicky free it and don it if necessary.

I don't skimp on cost for my PFDs- my life is worth a few extra $. I don't buy the most expensive either. I do look for comfortable PFDs - a comfortable PFD that is worn is better than an uncomfortable one that isn't.

If you get an inflatable it's a good idea to test it annually. Most have a backup mouth inflation tube. I use that to inflate and then let it sit overnight and check in the morning to see if it lost much air. Every 2 years I pull the lanyard and discharge the CO2 cartridge. Worth the piece of mind even though I need to replace the cartridge for about $22. My oldest inflatable is now 16 years old and it still holds air just like it was new.
    Last edited by tailingloop; 02-20-2016 at 06:29 AM.

Blog Entries

What tailingloop said times two.

I always take my inflatable PFD with me when I go out on the water. If I am using my pontoon boat or my raft then I wear the PFD.

In a catastrophic displacement of air (ie: fancy way of saying when the bladder bursts ) you don't have time to grab your PFD and try to put it on not to mention trying to grab for your rod and such. Wear it. If the water is extra cold then your body will start to go into shock almost immediately, you need to be wearing your PFD and not trying to put it on. Spend a decent amount of money, it is your life we are talking about. You are worth an extra $50 o $100 don't you think?

By the way, I once had a catastrophic displacement of air on a raft I had. Luckily I was just pushing off from shore and was only in 3 feet of water. Out in the middle of the lake it would have been a totally different story. Be safe.

Larry ---sagefisher---

Thanks folks for the input, but is it really necessary to talk down to someone who asks a simple question and is seeking some advice? Yes, my life - or anyone elses - is worth whatever it takes to protect it. That was not my point, and I imagine you know it. What is sometimes not necessary is paying a premium price for something when a generic product - which sometimes is the same thing with a different name at a cheaper price - will do just as well. If buying one that's advertised to be "for fly fishing" at a higher price doesn't give me any advantages over a "regular" PFD I see no reason to pay the difference.
    There have never in history been so many opportunities to do so many things that aren't worth doing. - William Gaddis

Quote Originally Posted by Prairieschooner View Post
    Thanks folks for the input, but is it really necessary to talk down to someone who asks a simple question and is seeking some advice? Yes, my life - or anyone elses - is worth whatever it takes to protect it. That was not my point, and I imagine you know it. What is sometimes not necessary is paying a premium price for something when a generic product - which sometimes is the same thing with a different name at a cheaper price - will do just as well. If buying one that's advertised to be "for fly fishing" at a higher price doesn't give me any advantages over a "regular" PFD I see no reason to pay the difference.
    As an independent third party with no dog in this fight, it seems that you asked for an opinion and got two well thought out opinions from people with a lot of experience. I see no reason for you to think they are talking down to you. I think an apology is in order.

So, somebody asking me if my life is worth a hundred bucks is not talking down to me? I think an apology is in order too.

Part of my fly fishing attire has always been a vest, and that's when wading or in the canoe. No doubt carry more then I need, but better to have carried the jun... (eh, stuff) not using all of it rather then being a considerable distance away with a need and not having it. Also have a fanny pack that I might use for a quick short distant try, or when it's hot and the vest would be real uncomfortable. Wading the smaller streams around here I do not use a flotation device ~ for the canoe use the simple cushion floaters, but again, not all that depth of water.
    Now I have two vest, the regular run of the mill 50/50 cotton polyester (like for use as listed above), and a special one I use for large, fast moving, and especially strange to me waters. AND, in the canoe when crossing over deep water like a lake ~ and that vest is a Stearns and it has a CO2 cartridge to inflate, plus has a hose where one could do a huff & puff job instead. This vest is heavy duty and I especially like it for real cool weather. Don't know if the Stearns vest would be what you might be looking for, but let me say I've used it for at least 15 years now and I like it.

+ Reply to Thread