+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Suggestions near Telluride, CO?

Hybrid View

Default Suggestions near Telluride, CO?

My fishing buddy will be in Telluride this weekend. He was going to fish the Frying Pan River but I-70 remains closed in both directions between Glenwood Springs and Gypsum due to a rockslide. Are there any rivers/stream you guys would recommend that are accessible from Telluride?

Thanks!
    Jim

The upper dolores is accessible over Lizard Head pass, if it's open. Also there is a lake I have heard around Telluride close that is supposed to be good fishing. Sorry, can't remember it's name. Also the San Miguel, and there is a lake up south of the San Miguel that might be possible, and I can't remember that name either. That country gets buttoned up pretty tight this time of year as far as fishing goes. San Miguel is probably your best bet, or Ridgway Reservoir.

This Is great! Thanks so much!

Jim

Both the San Miguel and Uncompahgre rivers are convenient to Telluride. Even if the 70 weren't closed it's a healthy drive to the Frying Pan from Telluride. There's too many options closer. Best thing is to check with one of the local fly shops, they're common in Colorado. Telluride has at least one.

Nice time of year to fish out there. Have fun..

I had a great couple of days on the San Miguel a few years ago while staying in Telluride. Lots of eager 14" browns that took PT nymphs and Prince nymphs. Look for turnouts on the road about 20 minutes North of Telluride. Some of the land is posted, so watch for that.
    Have fun,
    Ted

+ Reply to Thread