+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Regal Medallion with Stainless Jaws

Blog Entries

Default New Regal Medallion with Stainless Jaws

The first "good/premium" vise I bought was a Regal Vise, in the mid-80's. Prior to that, I had used a couple versions of the Thompson vise. I regret doing so, but sold my "Goldie" several years ago. Those earlier Regals had a vise head which was gold colored.

Anyway, I recently purchased a new Medallion Series Regal with the traditional heavy bronze base and the stainless steel jaws.

The vise functions well and I enjoy tying on it. It isn't my "go to" vise as that will remain my other offset rotary vises.

I only mention this because I was surprised that the Regal vise I purchased does not come with a material clip. You can purchase their "infinity" material clip, separately, for $10. Just seems to me they would have built that into the price and provided it. The traditional jaws come with the "built-in" material clip and the Revolution Series come with a material clip, but not the others............

Scott, I'd call 'em on it...if you got no clip at all.

Unless the company has changed it's policy since I bought mine 2 seasons ago my Medallion w/stainless steel jaws came with the classic mat'l clip. I'd prefer the infinity instead.

I agree with you. When you buy a car you don't need to specify that a steering wheel be included!

Quote Originally Posted by Byron haugh View Post
    The first "good/premium" vise I bought was a Regal Vise, in the mid-80's. Prior to that, I had used a couple versions of the Thompson vise. I regret doing so, but sold my "Goldie" several years ago. Those earlier Regals had a vise head which was gold colored.

Anyway, I recently purchased a new Medallion Series Regal with the traditional heavy bronze base and the stainless steel jaws.

The vise functions well and I enjoy tying on it. It isn't my "go to" vise as that will remain my other offset rotary vises.

I only mention this because I was surprised that the Regal vise I purchased does not come with a material clip. You can purchase their "infinity" material clip, separately, for $10. Just seems to me they would have built that into the price and provided it. The traditional jaws come with the "built-in" material clip and the Revolution Series come with a material clip, but not the others............
    Byron, you mentioned owning a Marc Petijean vise that would be the envy of many tyers. Are you collecting these things I have most of the Regal jaws, but have not purchased the stainless yet. The pictures I see in the catalogues show a material clip. I'll be sure to specify when ordering and see what happens.
    God Bless America

Yup, used comes with a clip. If yours did not, I'd talk with the vendor. Might be optional now that they have redesigned the jaws. Course you can make one yourself by just going down to the hardware store and buying a spring.

Oddly enough, the material clip is the first thing most Regal owners remove.

Blog Entries

Whatfly:

I emailed Regal and the retail outlet I purchased from and both said that only the traditional jaws and Revolution series come with the material clip. The "infinity" one sells for $10.

JC:
    Yes, I am sort of a collector of vises. I have quite a few and have had many over the years. Vises are my vice. I truly appreciate the machining that goes into a quality vise. Thus far, my favorite is still the Jvice. The Swiss Master is a bit smoother. The ONLY drawback to it is that it is, overall, about 90% of the size I prefer. Other than that, it is butter smooth (I think the housing has ball bearings), it is beautiful and the jaws are awesome.
    Last edited by Byron haugh; 02-11-2016 at 04:06 AM.

I find that a small horseshoe magnet works as a good material clip for my Regal, but I'm not sure whether the stainless steel jaws will hold a magnet.
    Bob

I have the Regal Medallion with the stainless jaws as well. purchased less then 2 years ago. It came with a classic clip, which I prefer over the infinity.

[U]

Well I have an old gold regal I don't know where the material clamp is, it disappeared years ago. But I do have an addiction to collecting vices my newest is a Stonfo Kaiman, a regal spring type but with a ball bearing Rotary feature the more I tye with it the more I like it! Fishin' Jimmy

Blog Entries

Jimmy,
    I was looking at one of the Kaimin's the other day. Keep us posted on what you like or don't like about it.

Blog Entries

Pertinent portion of email from Regal Engineering:

"The Medallion Series Regular Jaws come with a classic material clip. All Revolutions come with an Infinity Material Clip. All others do not include a material clip"

+ Reply to Thread