+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Abacos in March

Default Abacos in March

Is a 6wt salt water rod too light for wading Abacos flats for bones? 8 wts seem to be the recommended rod and I will have a couple of those with me but thought the 6wt could be fun as well. Any thoughts?

What counts the most is a good reel and drag that can handle the long runs.

Wind in saltwater is the real consideration

OKFF yes wind is probably the main concern. A 6 wt (in the right hands) will handle the fish but will require some skills to handle the wind for sure.

Wind is the primary consideration. A 6-weight could handle most Bahamian bonefish is calm conditions. However, if you hook a big bonefish, you'll wish you had an 8-weight in your hand.

Thanks all, I'm going to take it with me. I might up line it or just use it if the wind is calm. I'll have an eight weight or two with me as well. FloridaFly, I hope your right, that would be a fun problem to have. Thanks for the input.

A 6 wt rod can certainly handle a 3-5 lb bonefish. However, you may need to cast it 50-60 ft, so even if the wind is calm you want a fast-action rod that can double-haul well. Also, you want a reel with a tough drag and as much backing as possible -- preferably 200 yd. Replacing your 6 wt trout line with a tropical saltwater line is necessary at a minimum, but it may not be adequate if you put it on a typical freshwater 6 wt reel with a light-duty drag and 100 yd or less of backing.

+ Reply to Thread