+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Anyone else a fan of Marc Petijean, his tools, and tying?

Blog Entries

Default Anyone else a fan of Marc Petijean, his tools, and tying?

Marc Petijean is a great tool inventor and a great tier. He is probably best known for his use of CDC feathers in his patterns.
    This is a nice video of him tying one of his favorite flies:

http://youtu.be/wq3jeGClJPA

No. His specialty is over-priced and over-engineered tools, and while his CDC is OK, generally I would consider him just another Ronco-esque vendor. YMMV.

I like his products. Seem like good quality. They are by far not the most expensive on the market.

Not familiar with his tying.

"Ronco-esque", Really?

Quote Originally Posted by whatfly View Post
    No. His specialty is over-priced and over-engineered tools, and while his CDC is OK, generally I would consider him just another Ronco-esque vendor. YMMV.

Blog Entries

Stcroixgu:
    He's sorta known as the CDC guy. He ties pretty simple, yet elegant and buggy looking flies with mostly CDC feathers.
    A number of his tools are primarily designed to aid in the tying of CDC feathers.
    The quality of his tools that I have acquired seem to be top notch!

Love his tying style! He makes it look so simple...ala Davy McPhail *G* He's good too, deceptively so.

Here Marc P. goes at it so well it almost makes a guy want to add to his CDC stash and I already have a good bit.

I really like the stuff for a lot of reasons. I also hate the stuff for as many reasons...namely the fussing after a fish or two. Still, I've found adding CDC to my patterns that use a few wraps of hackle for longer, less fussy floats greatly adds to the effectiveness of each fly. Works for me.

I'm considering those clamps he uses but since I can just "add" CDC to my preferred patterns already I'm having trouble making the purchase!

I'd love to have his vise though - just 'cause I like nice tools! I have 3 vises already but if I ever buy some pull-tabs and win.....) (doubtful, I'm too cheap)

Blog Entries

Jeremy,
    I have his vise. It's a thing of beauty.
    Did a little review of it on a thread here. You might do a search and take a look.

I think the quality of his tools are excellent. Unfortunately his push is for the use of CDC utilzing his tools has a limited market here in the USA

I don't own any of his tools. I am sure they are high quality.

His magic tool looks like it has some advantages over the el-cheapo bulldog clip. His bobbin is interesting, but not enough to get me to buy one, yet. As for the rest of his tools, I don't see anything that would justify the exrta cost to ME. But I drive Honda and Ford. Some people drive Mercedes.

Don't know or care about his tying skills for there are so many "great names" out there, but I'm certainly going to get his magic tool now that I was put onto it by Scott........thanks Scott!............and I have watched a video to see it in use. I like using well made quality tools and feel they have helped improve my tying skills over all these years.
    David Parker
    Guild Certified Professional Rod Builder

+ Reply to Thread