+ Reply to Thread

Thread: THE FUN FACTOR - Neil - Feb 3, 2016

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Default THE FUN FACTOR - Neil - Feb 3, 2016

THE FUN FACTOR

When was the last time that you could actually say that you just went fishing for fun? As a consummate observer of people's behavior I have noticed that I see more and more people that appear to find fishing especially fly fishing, anything but fun. A typical scene at an access site is a bunch of determined people that appear to be setting out on a mission that is a matter of life and death. Once the boat is in the water the race is on to see which angler can catch the first fish, the most fish and the biggest fish. The casting is methodical, machine like with a stoic determination without any apparent concept of what they are doing or why they are doing it. Is this the future of fly fishing?

Quote Originally Posted by rtidd View Post
    THE FUN FACTOR

When was the last time that you could actually say that you just went fishing for fun? As a consummate observer of people's behavior I have noticed that I see more and more people that appear to find fishing especially fly fishing, anything but fun. A typical scene at an access site is a bunch of determined people that appear to be setting out on a mission that is a matter of life and death. Once the boat is in the water the race is on to see which angler can catch the first fish, the most fish and the biggest fish. The casting is methodical, machine like with a stoic determination without any apparent concept of what they are doing or why they are doing it. Is this the future of fly fishing?
    I would suggest that fun for one may not be fun for others or you. What you describe sounds like a bass tournament that, by the way, is probably fun for those doing it. I think most of us fish for fun and tie flies for fun. Fly fishing is especially for fun and relaxing. I really don't follow you on this. What is your definition of fun?
    God Bless America

I have to agree with jcampbell here. I don't have any leisure time activities that are not fun. If the activity ceases to be fun, I stop that activity.

Have fun!
    Ted

For many here maybe that's the case. However for the majority of the fly fishing public I have to agree with the article. I've seen folks boil over when losing fish, quit early in anger when their fishing buddy is having the better day. Ruining things for the whole trip. Serious fly fishermen.....experienced. Folks argue with guides, refuse to accept guidance or help...all because they are competing more than they are just fishing, and when they stop winning, they stop enjoying it.

I swung through an Orvis shop on the way to a local twp pond to hit some gills and bass with poppers one night to pick up tippet. A guy was in there complaining about the closest trout stream being too off-color to fish, and it was his only day off in the week to fish. I asked the guy if he wanted to accompany me to the water I was heading to for some popper fishing. He looked me square in the eye and as rude as could be said..."Now why in the &^%* would I want to do that? Do I look like I'm 10 years old?" Then went on to add how when he fly fishes he likes to "Match wits" with selective trout. I laughed and complimented him on matching wits with a fish that will rise for a thing-a-ma-bobber....then went fishing.

He probably went home after whining to the fly fishing clerk for another hour about how his fly fishing prowess was ruined until next week, kicked his dog and yelled at his wife. If we are all lucky maybe he broke his best rod too.

I caught a lot of fish that night....and had fun on a day that began with thunderstorms. He....did not.

I can't believe that you think you can speak for the majority of the fly fishing public with such negative comments and one example of an idiot you spoke with in a fly shop. Come on Troutbum, what is the point of putting down on the fun MOST of us enjoy with this sport. Unhappy and angry people are everywhere and will always be with us for whatever reason. But trying to say that our sport in full of them is just not true. This negative stuff is not sending a positive message to the youngsters.
    God Bless America

I'm glad to see that at least someone is actually reading the articles that we put up each month. The opinions set forth in my article are not simply my view on the current state of our sport. Are there lots of guys out there that enjoy fly fishing, is fun different for different people - the answer is yes. If you don't encounter these types of individuals where you fish you are blessed, but if you talk to the guides, outfitters, shop owners and individuals like Kirk Deeter who make their living from fly fishing they will tell you that they are seeing an increasing number of people who are just like the guy NJtroutbum described. I don't like to see it, I don't enjoy writing about it but I cannot deny that it is happening.

Quote Originally Posted by jcampbell View Post
    I can't believe that you think you can speak for the majority of the fly fishing public with such negative comments and one example of an idiot you spoke with in a fly shop. Come on Troutbum, what is the point of putting down on the fun MOST of us enjoy with this sport. Unhappy and angry people are everywhere and will always be with us for whatever reason. But trying to say that our sport in full of them is just not true. This negative stuff is not sending a positive message to the youngsters.
    Not saying that all of fly fishing is this way, in fact some of the best people in my life are part of it. But it is more prevalent than some would like to see. I don't think this sends a bad message at all. If anything, for young folks entering the sport it should be a gentle reminder of what you "don't" want to become.

+ Reply to Thread