http://helenair.com/news/natural-res...ment_form=true

Interesting article. I've only been fishing the river for the past 5 years so take everything I have to say with a grain of salt. In the first, year, 2011, the river experienced exceptionally high flows that scoured the streambed, flushed weeds and exposed a good bit of gravel. Hatches, caddis and mayfly (trico and PMD) seemed pretty good (although I didn't have anything to compare them to) and I caught a number of fish on dries. The past few years, 2015 in particular, flows have been lower and it seemed caddis and PMD numbers were down and the dry fly fishing for evening caddis emergence was slow; tricos were abundant, but I found the number of fish feeding on them to be less (small sample size since I only fished 2 days).

It'll be interesting to see if they can carry the study forward. Sad to think the dry fly fishing here will become a shadow of it's past; fishing anything subsurface when the weeds start drifting is frustrating, at best. At least the fish seem to be healthy on their crustacean diet.

Regards,
Scott