+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Old Fly Hooks

Default Old Fly Hooks

I hope to soon begin what for me has been a life long dream: that is to tie the flies on the color plates in Bergman's Trout.

That being said I would like to start with the wet flies but I would like to use a hook that would be "historically" accurate; in other words the kind of wet fly hooks available in the 1930's & 40's. I was told there was actually a Ray Berman hook sold at one time.

What brand and model number of hook should I be looking for? Any help would be appreciated.

Bam,

I cannothelp you with the 'Ray Bergman'hooks. However, a complete set of Bergman's wet flies has been reproduced and published in the book, Forgotten Flies by Schmookler & Sils. The flies photographed were tied by Don Bastian and for all the standard wet flies he used Mustad 3399s and I believe size 6.

Allan

Allen is correct. I have some Bergman hooks and I think it would be very expensive for you to try and buy enough to tie your flies on. If I were you I would use the #3399
    Mustad as Allen as said. Unless you do not mind the expense? Here is a web page that may help you. Very well tied flies and there dressing. [url=http://www.rareandunusual.com/tcs.html:74376]http://www.rareandunusual.com/tcs.html[/url:74376]

Go to the Visual Pattern Dictionary and click on Wet Flies.

Hope this helps you a little. Ron

[This message has been edited by RonMT (edited 04 March 2005).]

Thanks that's good info and a good place to start.

Why not make hooks fore the period?If you can get a copy of The Colonial Angler's Manual of Flyfishing & Flytying. He makes hooks and gives a description on haw hw does it. I know Ken Reinert the author and if you are interested, and need help. I can get you in touch with him. Good luck Chuck

+ Reply to Thread