+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Knot?

Jeremy, I must admit that I've never gotten to the point of measuring the strength via pull tests on a variety of hooks and line weights. I am curious however, what knot are you referring to that is the best knot for you?

Jim Smith

Hi Jim,

It's the knot I began the post with, the "Jack Crawford". My apologies if that may have sounded like someone's name, I should have put it in "quotes" maybe??

I never measured the actual breaking strengths per se' only compared by tying the Crawford to a marked hook and then various other knots to the other hooks with approx. 12" -15" or so of tippet between them. I'd gently pull sometimes, yank hard other times -- and see which knot gave out!

Not always did the Crawford win out to which I attributed some error, likely on my part as I can't blame anyone or anything else. So, by that very varied ste of circumstances it made me try again and again to see for my own satisfaction. Lots an' lots of tippet...I wanted to be pretty darn sure for own satisfaction.

Might not be for everyone but I had to see for myself rather than ask around. It's important to me, especially in lighter tippet sizes.

I nearly didn't post this b/c is such a subjective issue so----anyone should do as much actual testing as they feel assured with. I'm just sharing my own results as I really did the work and it took some time, I'll tell ya!

Here's the link, hope it works....

http://www4.gvsu.edu/triert/s/crawford.html

As with anything new, it seems odd at first. It's not. just remember to pinch the line tag between fingers and...the lower set of instructions is better than the first pics.

I'm out - as this can get "stewy" on forum postings with differing opinions.
    Jeremy. edit: Use the last 3-4 explanations and "pinch" as suggested. Also when tied properly this knot will "pop" as you seat it/tug it fully. On trout tippets though I often don't especially on 6X since it's so light. Other tippet, 5X and up I will. You'll feel it "Seat" as it pops over. She won't slip!
    Last edited by Jeremy; 01-31-2016 at 03:27 AM. Reason: omissions

Blog Entries

I use the same clinch knot I learned as a little kid. May not be the "best" knot, highest strength, etc, but I can tie it in gloves in bad light in moments. I've tried many other knots over the years, but never caught any more fish and wasted a lot more fishing time trying to recall how to do them.

Quote Originally Posted by DG View Post
    I've tried many other knots over the years, but never caught any more fish and wasted a lot more fishing time trying to recall how to do them.
    *grins* - Ain't that the truth.

A pretty contentious subject and at the same time pretty important. Gotta love this sport. More of a "lifestyle" than anything...

+ Reply to Thread