+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Knot?

Hybrid View

Question Knot?

What knot do you use for tippet to fly? Do you use different for nymphs, streamers, and dry flies? Or different sizes? If so why or why not? I'm just being curious.

Thanks,
    hNt
    "If we lie to the government, it's called a felony, when they lie to us, it's called politics." Bill Murray

For most trout flies, I used to use the Eugene Sling, which is similar to the Pitzen knot. I started using the double Davey knot a couple of years ago and now use it most of the time. I like it because it is strong, small and quick to tie. For most streamers or flies on stiffer tippet, I use the non-slip mono loop knot to give flies more action.

Ted

I like the Orvis (Becker) knot. Art Scheck recommended it in his Fly-Fish Better book, as did the late Bill Nash, the West Coast knot guru.

It's strong and very easy to tie.

Blog Entries

I prefer to use the Turle knot, which is much like the Orvis knot except in the Orvis knot the fly stays in the loop while tying it and in the Turle knot the fly is allowed to drop down the leader, the loop formed, then the fly is brought back up the leader and the loop is moved over the fly. Both knots work really well and are 100% strength knots.

Larry ---sagefisher---

Improved clinch for nearly everything.

Eugene bend with forceps... fast and strong, easy with all tippet sizes , weather conditions and shaky hands. I often use a loop knot with streamers

Can I jump in and expand this to include what knot works best for folks with arthritic fingers? I find that tying on a fly is no longer as automatic as it used to be and too often the final test tug shows that I have failed to tie a good knot.
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

Quote Originally Posted by rainbowchaser View Post
    Can I jump in and expand this to include what knot works best for folks with arthritic fingers? I find that tying on a fly is no longer as automatic as it used to be and too often the final test tug shows that I have failed to tie a good knot.
    Much the reason I use the improved clinch...I've been tying it since i was drowning worms at age 5. I can do it about as mindless as picking my nose. arthritis or tremors.

Quote Originally Posted by rainbowchaser View Post
    see the end of the video where a spring loaded fly clamp is used. good luck

http://midcurrent.com/knots/how-to-t...ble-davy-knot/

Quote Originally Posted by okflyfisher View Post
    Eugene bend with forceps... fast and strong, easy with all tippet sizes , weather conditions and shaky hands. I often use a loop knot with streamers
    +1 on the Eugene Bend

Brad
    "A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her."
    -W.C. Fields

+ Reply to Thread