+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Umpqua Magnum Midge Box

Hi Tim,
    Do the wings on your emergers and spinners survive the magnetic pull? I'm serious, I've had lids in other boxes crush some of my dry fly wings to the point I couldn't make they look right anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by planettrout View Post
    The Angler's Image 18 compartment boxes are the best I have found for small patterns...I've handled the Umpqua boxes and they don't cut it...

I
    have a bunch of them...

PT/TB

Quote Originally Posted by lastchance View Post
    Hi Tim,
    Do the wings on your emergers and spinners survive the magnetic pull? I'm serious, I've had lids in other boxes crush some of my dry fly wings to the point I couldn't make they look right anymore.
    Medium and larger dry flies can get smushed in the Anglers Image thin boxes. I only recommend them for 20 and smaller dries, maybe some 18's. I mostly use them for nymphs and midge dries.
    I don't have the problem with spinners though, they are pretty flat. I use synthetic fiber spinner wings, not feathers, so YMMV.

There's about 1/3" clearance between magnet and lid in the Anglers Image boxes. The foam ones have a bit less clearance, but the hook goes down into the foam insert. That helps with parachutes, but collar hackles get compressed. There are some slightly thicker magnetic boxes, but I've only seen a single compartment magnetic model.

As I tie, I often put the flies into a small plastic container that comes with Dai Riki hooks. They have more inside clearance than the Anglers Image boxes, about 1/2". I find this small difference enough to safely store dry flies up to about a 14.
    Last edited by Bruce Norikane; 01-28-2016 at 05:20 PM.

Well, guys, you were right. I picked up an Umpqua small midge box and it's a bitch trying to put size 26 flies in those tiny slots. I carry sizes 20 to 30 for midges and that Umpqua box will never work. I'll use it for small nymphs. I'm going to buy another Angler's Image box. Thanks for all of your input. I appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by lastchance View Post
    Hi Tim,
    I use Myran 18 compartment boxes for most of my small emerges and spinners because I don't like crushed flies. I have used the Angler's Image boxes for some patterns in the #14 - #16 range. These are attractors:

PT/TB
    Daughter to Father, "How many arms do you have, how many fly rods do you need?"
    http://planettrout.wordpress.com/

i use the cliff days worth for midges, nothin fancy but it works ok; i can open it with one hand, not sure it is waterproof.
    http://www.cliffoutdoors.com/index.p...the-days-worth
    "Fishermen are born honest, but they get over it"
    Ed Zern

Blog Entries

"reduce the number of boxes I carry" Ah, don't make me laugh so hard. When does that ever work, in the long run?

On the few occasions I take out the midges, they reside in a box with a magnet bottom, so I don't lose them all in the grass or water if things go wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by DG View Post
    "reduce the number of boxes I carry" Ah, don't make me laugh so hard. When does that ever work, in the long run?

On the few occasions I take out the midges, they reside in a box with a magnet bottom, so I don't lose them all in the grass or water if things go wrong.
    I'm going to try anyway. So far I have combined my core nymphs and olives in one box so that eliminates one. I call my core nymphs the ones I use on just about every trip. I think I can reduce the number of boxes I carry by two, which is considerable for me. I didn't say I was carrying less flies, just less boxes, ha!

I spotted an interesting thin, double-sided, magnetic fly box in the local HW store. It is bright green with 44 compartments and an interesting magnetic stick for picking up flies.

Anyone have one of these?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Double-Side-...AAAOSwl9BWLzX~

+ Reply to Thread