+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Removing waders

Hybrid View

Default Removing waders

Hi all,
    Okay, I know I have issues with flexibility, due to various leg things. I finally got brave and tried on the waders I've had for years. They fit, snug enough and big enough. But, when I went to remove them the stocking feet seemed stuck to my foot. I had one heck of a time getting them off. Is there a good way to remove them? I had pulled them down, both sides to where the heavier foot part started, but then couldn't get them over my foot. I was ready to slice and dice as I had an appointment, but get them off finally. Checked with the boots on and they felt fine. Should the foot area be sooooo tight?
    Thanks for any suggestions.

It takes me a little effort and definitely gets harder as I get older, but I can usually peel / roll down to the top of the bootie or heel and then pull my foot out. Yours sound rather tight to me and I believe you can damage seams if you're tugging to hard.

You might try sprinkling some baby powder in them.

Blog Entries

You could try thin socks for a starter. Have a portable chair with you if you can, easier to take them off sitting down. I usually step on the toe of one foot and slide my foot out that way, then while that foot is still somewhat in the waders I step on the other foot.

Good luck.

Larry ---sagefisher---

You can also try putting on thin plastic bags, like newspaper bags, over your socks before you put the waders on. It makes them a little more slippery than just the wader over the sock and easier to pull off. You will need to fish the plastic bag out of the wader afterwards.

Ted

I had the old Simms Guide waders with the fitted stockingfoot booty for many years. Best wader I ever had. The fitted booty really hugged the curves on my foot and greatly reduced any excess material in my boot. However, they were a bear to take off.

I thought this was typical of stockingfoot waders until I bought a pair of Orvis Silver Sonics. They have a much baggier bootie which bothered me when I first stuffed them into wading boots. But when I take them off, my feet slide right out. The difference is amazing.

So there's a definite trade off. Fitted feel great in the boot, baggier are way easier to take off.

Yes, this can be a problem as the old body gets stiffer. I find that the best aid is my wife. However, I agree with the comment about powder on your feet before putting on the waders. Certainly makes the process easier for me. Good luck.
    God Bless America

You didn't say what brand and type of wader you have, but there are some brands, Simms in particular, that offer custom sized or replacement feet for their waders.

For me, I find its not that uncomfortable to have wader feet that are a bit too large.

+ Reply to Thread