+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Peaocks in Paradise

Default Peaocks in Paradise

I live in southwest Florida and usually have to drive to southeast Florida (Broward and Miami-Dade counties) to fly fish for peacock bass. However, a year ago I discovered a lake just east of Naples that holds a decent population of peacock bass.
    Peacock bass were introduced to south Florida waters in 1984 by the state. They tried to stock both barred peacocks and butterfly peacocks, but even in south Florida the water got too cold in winter for the barred species. But we have a thriving population of the smaller butterfly peacocks.
    They're pretty easy to catch on fly rod. In fact, we've had many 20-plus-fish days.
    If you find a peacock on a bed, you'll will hook it. It might take a few tries, but eventually when you get the timing right you'll hook up. Every time you drop the fly into the nest, the peacock will suck it in and quickly spit it out. You've got to time it just right.
    When not fishing beds, I've found that blind casting can be productive. My most effective fly to date is a Clouser Deep Minnow. I cast to the shoreline vegetation and strip the fly in quickly. Peacocks respond to a fast retrieve.
    The lake also produces largemouth bass, huge bluegill, monster Mayan cichlid, shellcracker (redear sunfish), tarpon and snook.
    One day last summer, I hooked, fought and landed a 16-inch Mayan cichlid, the largest (by far) I've ever caught.

More great pics! I just spent 10 days in Fort Myers fly fishing, but I had to wade as we flew down there. Really missed my kayak. Next time I get down there I hope to drive, take the kayak along and find some of those peacock bass.
    -Jameson

Steve, before the big freeze I was catching Mayans in Rotonda that went over 2 1/2lbs. Made me forget all about bass, even Snook took a back seat to them. Hard to find now, too bad.....

Nice giant Blue Gill, that is the scrapper that I love.

Wow, that bluegill would make a fish dinner by itself!

Very cool pics; thanks for posting. We got blown off the Keys in 2007 by a hurricane and spent the rest of our trip fishing for peacocks in the South Florida canals; one of the best trips we've ever had.

Regards,
    Scott
    Just a tourist passing through

SBS Index updated 2/21/18

Love these fish! Just more reasons why Florida is a flyfishing Shangri-la!
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

+ Reply to Thread