I live in southwest Florida and usually have to drive to southeast Florida (Broward and Miami-Dade counties) to fly fish for peacock bass. However, a year ago I discovered a lake just east of Naples that holds a decent population of peacock bass.
Peacock bass were introduced to south Florida waters in 1984 by the state. They tried to stock both barred peacocks and butterfly peacocks, but even in south Florida the water got too cold in winter for the barred species. But we have a thriving population of the smaller butterfly peacocks.
They're pretty easy to catch on fly rod. In fact, we've had many 20-plus-fish days.
If you find a peacock on a bed, you'll will hook it. It might take a few tries, but eventually when you get the timing right you'll hook up. Every time you drop the fly into the nest, the peacock will suck it in and quickly spit it out. You've got to time it just right.
When not fishing beds, I've found that blind casting can be productive. My most effective fly to date is a Clouser Deep Minnow. I cast to the shoreline vegetation and strip the fly in quickly. Peacocks respond to a fast retrieve.
The lake also produces largemouth bass, huge bluegill, monster Mayan cichlid, shellcracker (redear sunfish), tarpon and snook.
One day last summer, I hooked, fought and landed a 16-inch Mayan cichlid, the largest (by far) I've ever caught.