+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Back on the river

Default Back on the river

I live near the Myakka River in southwest Florida. I launch at Snook Haven and paddle my NuCanoe Pursuit downriver about a mile. Over the years, I've caught a lot of monster snook to 28 pounds, but mostly on jigs. This year, I decided to fish it only with fly rod.
    First trip was fair. I caught eight snook and three largemouth bass. I used an 8-weight fly rod, floating line and 9-foot fluorocarbon leader. I caught fish on Clouser Deep Minnows and a baitfish imitation.
    A buddy and I returned to the river this week and didn't do as well. However, I lost a monster on a Clouser. It was a solid snook that I estimated at 20 pounds.
    Although there is a resident population of snook throughout the year, the population swells when we get cold weather and the water temperature drops significantly. Snook from the bays and estuaries will swim up coastal rivers and creeks in search of warmer, deeper water.
    We really haven't had severe cold so far, but it looks as if the next week might do the trick.
    Even on slow days, you're just one cast away from the snook of a lifetime. Only a small percentage of fly anglers have ever taken a legitimate 20-pound snook or large on fly.
    In addition to snook, we often catch largemouth bass, redfish, gar and tarpon on the river.

Nice pics and looks like a great time. I too fish from a kayak and love it.
    -Jameson

I am assuming you are new(er) on this forum. Welcome and great report. When I was 16 yrs old (about 100 yrs ago)my parents took us to Florida. The best part of the whole trip was canoeing in Myakka Park, alligators and all.

Thank you! Let's just say I'm back after a lengthy hiatus.

Great pics as always, Steve! Good to see you here again!
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

I have a question about your kayak setup, Steve... Do you find that having a rod in the vertical rod holder behind you causes any issues with your flycasting? I use rodholders that hold my spare rod flat to the water (usually along the front edge of my kayak)....but I'm not sure that is always the best solution either.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Even a small tarpon on a flyrod has to be fun. I have only caught a couple, they were babies, out of a water hazard a little southeast of you. They were a blast on a bass weight spinning rod. The last strike I had sent a heavy spoon flying past my head.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Never has been a problem, Dave. If it is, you can always place the rods opposite your casting side. Most of the time, I don't take spinning rods, so it's rarely a consideration anyway.

Have you ventured up Deer Prairie Creek above the rain weir?

Once again really nice pictures, envious is not the word. I too fish from a kayak and where you are fishing is something to dream about. Keep' em coming.

+ Reply to Thread