+ Reply to Thread

Thread: BENT ON GLASS - Whipfinish - Jan 4 2016

Blog Entries

Default BENT ON GLASS - Whipfinish - Jan 4 2016

BENT ON GLASS

"How do you cast with this noodle?" was my buddy's comment as he stood next to the truck whipping the little glass 3 weight back and forth. "Why do you fish with these rods?"

I laughed, knowing exactly where that question came from, having been there myself. I then tried to explain to him as we finished rigging just why the little rod worked. Later, on the water, the intrigue of the rod got the best of him and he gave it a try. And as I predicted, he was hooked in 20 minutes.

I've heard similar comments about my glass rods. I ran into an old friend on a creek one day, and I had a couple of my glass rods with me. He said he had wondered about glass, so I suggested he try out my Diamondglass 7' 3 piece 3 weight. We went down to a little low water bridge to try it out. While making short casts, he remarked at how smooth it was. He started trying to lengthen his cast and began to struggle, trying to throw it harder and harder. He remarked on how difficult it was to get any distance. I showed him that he was putting too much force into it and that if he just let the rod do more of the work, he could get the distance he wanted. He has since obtained four glass rods. I am amazed that with all the fanfare glass has been receiving lately the majority of flyfishers still consider glass to be obsolete.

Larry

I too own a "noodle", an Eagle Claw model whatever ( yellow) 7' 5 wt. I don't have a problem casting it because I work within it's and my limitations. My problem with it is the horseshoe shape it assumes when landing even a modest size trout. Being less familiar with "glass" rods, I wonder is it the "nature" of the product or is it MY rod?
    In any case, I don't take it to Wyoming with me.

Mark

As a rule, compared to graghite, glass is much more parabolic. It will bend it's full length when fighting fish. That is not a bad thing. It both protects tippets and works to wear the fish down.

Blog Entries

Good glass rods are similar to bamboo in that they tend to be soft and bend a great deal. You certainly get a lot more "feel" of the fish upon hookup than you will with a modern fairly fast graphite rod. Such rods are fun on smaller streams...........even in Wyoming. A really nice stream for such a rod are some of the smaller streams in Yellowstone Park; i.e., Firehole, Gibbon, Nez Perz, etc. In my opinion, that is.

Of course, I have a Winston 5piece little 3 wt LT Model which is a dream to fish the little streams too.

great thread here. i must admit that i am hooked on glass. i have several rods of different length, line weight, manufacturer, etc.... i was looking at purchasing one of the single piece glass rods that cabela's has on sale right now however since being forced into early retirement from disabilities i have limited funds at present. have any of you folks tried one of these rods?:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/home/...dsPerPage%3D48

any advice is greatly appreciated!

I was at my local Bass Pro yesterday. The fly shop just started carrying Fenwick fly rods, and they had whole rack of new Fenglass fiberglass rods. I handled the 8'3" 8wt. Seemed like a decent rod.

+ Reply to Thread