+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Uni Stretch/Uni Yarn

Default Uni Stretch/Uni Yarn

Does anybody use these for tying? I have some, but I've really never seen many patterns that call for these. Can you give me some ideas?

Uni Stretch...

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flyt...101606fotw.php

...it is like 6/0 thread. I have seen Midge patterns tied with it as well...

Uni Yarn...

For Salmon, Steelhead and Traditional Wet Flies - in larger sizes, although I have seen some nymph patterns that utilize it...

PT/TB
    Daughter to Father, "How many arms do you have, how many fly rods do you need?"
    http://planettrout.wordpress.com/

Blog Entries

LastChance,

I use the unistretch for tying the bodies of Cracklebacks. It works better than any other material I've used in that pattern. Give it a try. You can make the bodies thin or fatter based on the tension you apply to the thread while tying.

Bruce,

I use Uni-Stretch a lot, often as a replacement for floss - doesn't fray as much and it's easier for me to build up tapered bodies with it.

Don't use Uni-Yarn because I have plenty of stuff from craft stores that serves the same purpose, at a fraction of the cost.

Regards,
    Scott
    Just a tourist passing through

SBS Index updated 2/21/18

Quote Originally Posted by Byron haugh View Post
    LastChance,

I use the unistretch for tying the bodies of Cracklebacks. It works better than any other material I've used in that pattern. Give it a try. You can make the bodies thin or fatter based on the tension you apply to the thread while tying.
    I was going to post the same reply Byron-you beat me to it. I makes a nice body and is easy to work with.

Dave

White uni-stretch is often used for gills on Chironomid patterns. Dave and Byron which color works best for Cracklebacks for you?
    Last edited by Fishin' Jimmy; 01-04-2016 at 09:45 AM.

Blog Entries

The traditional color used in the original Crackleback......yellow

Quote Originally Posted by lastchance View Post
    Does anybody use these for tying? I have some, but I've really never seen many patterns that call for these. Can you give me some ideas?
    I use both when tying woven nymphs. I wrap Uni-stretch over the lead wire wraps on these nymphs. The Uni-stretch creates a smooth tapered underbody for the weaving process. Then you can use Uniyarn to weave the body.

http://www.completefisher.com/forum/...pic.php?t=7559

https://youtu.be/BeXp3OZ8Hc4
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Tend to use the Danville product, which is the same as the Uni-stretch (so similar I suspect rebranding) like ScottP as a floss replacement. Originally bought it just because it was new and once I use it all up, doubt I'll ever bother replacing it. I find that either floss, or just plain thread in the heavier sizes (e.g. Danville 210 or Flymaster+) serve just as well as the stretch products, and are much easier to find.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishin' Jimmy View Post
    White uni-stretch is often used for gills on Chironomid patterns. Dave and Byron which color works best for Cracklebacks for you?
    I also use the original yellow but also use a sort of olive-yellow or straight olive for some. Also, I don't always use the standard furnace hackle although it does give a nice segmented body appearance. Instead I sometimes use a yellow-olive or olive grizzly hackle. Guess you could say they are not even true Cracklebacks anymore.

Dave

+ Reply to Thread