+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Partridge Hooks

Default Partridge Hooks

Hey all-

I'm thinking of tying some "Klinkhamer Special" flies and would like to stick to the traditional patter. The down side is that it calls for Partridge GRS15ST hooks. These hooks are both hard to find and exceptionally expensive

Does anyone have a suggestion for a reasonably priced source for these or a "true-to-form" alternative?

Thanks.

------------------
    Ed Schuurman
    Waynesboro, PA

The new Partridge model is 15BN...THERE IS NO SIMILAR HOOK OUT THERE...IMO they are worth every penny!

------------------
    "Get the drift?"

Hi Ed.....I just got some Daiichi 1260s for some nymphs and they look like they would be a good sub. 2x long, straight eye, slightly curved standard wire shank. The gape doesnt look as big as the Partridge but, not nearly as small as say the TMC200s. You would have to bend it at the thorax/abdomen joint to get the "right" shape. Dairiki makes it too but with a down eye. The 280.
    Ive been tying them on "emerger" hooks one size larger than called for. It works.
    Hope this helps...Jason

I will give ya one reason why to use the Partridge hooks...the gap of the hook and the way the hook is half submerged into the water is very important. If you use a different hook it will work but you will miss a lot of hook ups becuase the gap is too small. BTW I looked at the new Klinkhamer Hook (15BN) and it is only $4.75.

------------------
    "Get the drift?"

You can obtain the Partridge Klinkhammer hooks from Ed Gallop @ Flytying World. They're $4.75 per 25. Ed's very good to work with, I can recommend his service & price competitiveness.

Steve

------------------
    It has been my experience that folks with no vices have very few virtues. - A. Lincoln

I have purchased the new Partridge KH hooks both online and off the shelf at my local shop. They are widely avaialable.
    Rich

I have been using Tiemco 2488. The shank is a little short but they seem to catch fish just fine.

Glad to hear folks like the new 15BN hook

Chris Helm at Whitetail Fly Tying Supplies is a great source for Partridge as well. You'd be very hard pressed to find a larger selection of Partridge hooks.

------------------
    Jeff - AKA Dr. Fish
    If it has fins and swims than I must chase it!

Hey Doc-

Do you happen to have any contact info for Chris and/or Whitetail Fly Tying Supplies? An internet search didn't produce any hits.

Additionally (it seems you'd be the person to ask) is there any difference between the 15BN and the 15ST hooks? I'd like to be as authentic as possible, but I'm all for saving a few bucks if they're equivalent.

By the way...Can I have your job?

------------------
    Ed Schuurman
    Waynesboro, PA

[This message has been edited by schuured (edited 01 March 2005).]

schuured- use google and search on:

"Whitetail Fly Tying Supplies"

+ Reply to Thread