+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Which Vise?

Default Which Vise?

Saw all the comments on vises. Lotta vises out there. Only 2-3 mentioned repeatedly. Are these the only good ones? Or just what people had that commented. I am new to tying. Have a Griffin Patriot Cam and it does not have the "V" structure. I like to use it pointing up at a 45 degree angle. At this angle the roatary isn't worth much. The rotary only good if you are using the vice parrallel to the desk top, a manner in which I choose not to use it. I like the looks of the MT Mongoose. BTW the material clip on the Patriot is a joke. Small and so recessed you can't stick anything in it. Maybe there's a technique, but as a beginner it looks like a waste. The material clip on the MT Mongoose looks very handy.I have never ever seen a LAW vice? I will say this, the Griffin will sure hold a hook. It looks much bigger and therefore more cumbersome than a lot of the other vises I see in mags. I favor strength, and therefore am looking at the MT Mongoose, it LOOKS tough and it is. But for a fine art of fly tying should one use something lighter?

------------------
    Plain old Jim, I'm Plain...and I'm old.

POJ: Think women and fly-rods!

As a side note: the more/longer you tie, the more of an opinion you will develop about vises and what you demand out of them. To paraphrase Hans, "Your dream may be my nightmare."

The one constant: it must firmly hold a hook.

Check out Al Beaty's web site...he's a sponsor here I belive. The Danica is a really fine vise for the price. You get your upward angle that you like. I've had one for a couple of years now and really like it.

------------------
    Snow on the roof with fire in the hearth

I've had my Thompson A for some 25 years now. While there are newer vises on the market with all the bells and whistles, I perfected my skills on my Thompson and tied 1000s of flies on it. I hope that when I tie my last fly it's on my old tying companion.

Plain old Jim,

I have both a Thompson A and a DynaKing Ron Abbey signature vise. I am now thinking about buying a DynaKing Kingfisher for the shear simplicity. In my opinion the best money anyone can spend to improve their tying is on quality materials.

One thing that I never hear amyone talk about is the temper in the steel of the vise jaws. If it is to soft it will get a grove in it and not hold a hook right. If it is to hard it may break the hook.

I use Dyna-King and have had the same vise for more than 17 years and I tie for a living. I have tied on hooks to a size 8/0 for sailfish flies and had no problem in holding those big hooks I have also tied down to a size #28 in the same vise with no problems.
    All I will say is be aware of "THE" vise jaws and the temper of them. Ron

[This message has been edited by RonMT (edited 20 February 2005).]

The Danvise is talked about a lot in this forum.

But before I ever logged onto FAOL, I researched this topic quite a bit, and quite independently bought a Danvise.

It's very hard to beat at $80, or however much it goes for now.

JIM--as JC has said let the fun begin. As you have said most comments will be by what others now use and prefer.
    First as a beginner you own one of the finest vises made,USA with a lifetime warranty. Be happy with it for a few years. I own 6 Griffin model 2A's a Odyssey and a 3ARP-the 2A's for kids classes. Your Patriot is made to be used at a 45 but I do use my 3arp horizontally at times tying tube flies. A true rotary is usually only to wrap material on the hook and look at the back side of the fly, that you can do with yours. I have material clips that I never use and your answer for a lghter vise for the fine art of tying--most prefer the weight.
    If you cant stay with the vise you have and would like the Mongoose in the future call Griffin at 1 800 344 3150. Ask if they would make up a kit to change over your Patriot to a Mongoose. I bought a kit to change the 3ARP to the Odyssey and found I can use both one with c clamp and he other with the pedestal.

------------------

Bill

Jim,

Your last question was:

"But for a fine art of fly tying should one use something lighter?"

No. Certainly not.

For a (the?) fine art of fly tying, the artist should use whatever works for him (or her, as the case may be).

You can tie absolutely AWESOME flies without ANY vise (see those tied by a fellow named Wulff).

Vise grips work just fine.

C-Clamps.

Plain old pliers stuck in a bench vise.

Cheap $9 import 'fly tying vises' DO work, and some work better than many of us would like to admit.

If you like tools, or find some inherent satisfaction in owning neat, fun, or just well made stuff, then the choice of a vise becomes more of an issue.

BUT, it's all subjective. No one 'best' vise out there. ALL of them work, to varying degrees. I really like mine, but I liked the ones I had before it too. EVEN the cheap import that I started on (at least until I broke it).

If you consider fly tying an art (surely debatable, but a nice thought), then it's the PRODUCT that matters. HOW you get there is the province of the artist, and the artistry is still there REGARDLESS of how it was achieved.

Use the vise that works for you. Upgrade it when and if you want to. No one 'needs' such things, so have some fun and be glad you woke up today on THIS side of the grass...

Good Luck!

Buddy

------------------
    [url=HTTP://HOMETOWN.AOL.COM/RSAN2708/INDEX.HTML:59a96]HTTP://HOMETOWN.AOL.COM/RSAN2708/INDEX.HTML[/url:59a96]
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

Ha! Not a Renzetti nor a Peak mentioned???? I appreciate all the good comments. I have been told that Thompson has gone out of business. So.....I wouldn't want to buy one of their's. I think the point was a decent vice you get good at is what you will like....and the Patriot is a good choice. I think I would like the true rotary. I think it was Al Beatty wrap chenille and hackle by rotating the vice. I like that idea. I don't think I can do that with the Patriot. However, it sure is good and strong. I think I will like it. It's just, well....uh....you know....a boy and his toys......

------------------
    Plain old Jim, I'm Plain...and I'm old.

+ Reply to Thread