+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cabelas CGR 7'6" 5/6 Review

Hybrid View

Default Cabelas CGR 7'6" 5/6 Review

CGR Brown web.jpg

This weekend was the first opportunity to get the new CGR on the water. I was not disappointed. Teamed with an Heddon 320 and an Orvis Hydros WF6 line, the little rod impressed.

The rod was christened on a heavy brown day one, and then several 20+ rainbow on the second day. An amazing rod once fish are hooked! Not a single broken tippet and an absolute blast to work big fish on.

Smooth casting, well built and priced right. This rod shines in the Glass arena in my opinion.

For the full blog review click on the link below:

http://ralphsflybox.blogspot.com/2016/01/cabelas-cgr-76-56-review.html

With the sale prices Cabela's has been putting out the last few months, the CGR series must be among the fastest selling rods in a long time. However, with all the glowing praise heaped on these rods I'm surprised they haven't raised the price. I've also heard a lot of good things about the Prime series one piece rods, with the only complaint being the unwieldy length when travelling. I have the CGR 7' 4/5 rod, and they are indeed very good rods even if they weren't inexpensive. The fact that they don't cost much is just icing on the cake.

Larry

Ralph,
    Do you also have the 7 ft 4/5 weight? If so, how do the two compare? In other words, if one has the 4/5 weight is there a pressing need to get the 5/6 weight also.

Dave

Dave,

I would say yes. The 7' 4/5wt seems to fit a DT5 perfectly. But it really struggles on anything thing larger than a #12 Beadhead and small indicator. It is a wonderful dry fly and small nymphing rod that cast like a dream. The 7' 6" 5/6wt however, a real workhorse when you need it and a smooth casting rod, without feeling like a broomstick in your hand. It seems to fit a 6WF or Bass taper best. If I were told to choose just one? I may go for the 5/6 strictly out of practical reasons. But love them both within their applications since they definitely are 2 different rods.

Ralph

+ Reply to Thread