+ Reply to Thread

Thread: spectrumized dubbing

Default spectrumized dubbing

Does anybody use it? I just got a bunch of it and it looks good.I have been blending dubbing with primary colors for a while,but this stuff is nice!
    Also,would anyone know what hooks Caucci uses on there Comparaduns? They mention Mustad in their book,is this what they still use? Thanks,CJ

Any good dry fly hook is fine. They use to use Mustad but I sure don't know what the one that is still alive uses now? But like I said any good dry fly hook like Dai-Riki #320 or Temico #100 will work. You can e-mail him and find out. Ron

[url=http://www.mayfly.com/:ba62d]http://www.mayfly.com/[/url:ba62d]

C John,

Do I use it? Yes. Just remember the saying when it comes to dubbing: 'When you think you have enough, take 1/2 off'. In other words, just cover the thread. Oh, the thread should complement and be a lighter than the dubbing unless otherwise desired.

I'd say that about 7-8 years ago(?) Al Caucci had his tyers switch to Daiichi hooks for the comparaduns as well as emergers, spinners, caddis, stones. Not sure if his preference has changed more recently.

Allan

Allan,I was hoping you would see this! Thanks.
    Let me ask you,since you are the hook guy,What hooks do you prefer for
    Catskill dries
    Comparaduns
    basic nymphs,i.e.March Brown,Hendrickson,etc.Thanks again,John

[This message has been edited by catskilljohn (edited 01 March 2005).]

CJ,

"What hook do I prefer." Tough question for me to answer. I guess the best way to answer that is, I prefer the least expensive I can get among Mustad, Daiichi, or Tiemco. For dry flies - Mustad 94840, in spite of the many who dismiss it, has history and works. Sometimes, I use the 94859(straight eye) for size 22 and smaller. It just seems a little easier to tie on. The Tiemco 815(?) is a good hook for 26 and smaller because it has a larger gap. However, the shank is slightly larger then the same size Mustad. For example, the Tiemco size 32 is about the same as the Mustad size 28. As far as overall proportions, I guess I'd pick the Daiichi 1180(?). I think that's that company's standard dry fly hook. There are certainly other models, especially the new Mustad R series hooks, that I'm not familiar with.

Just my $0.02.

Allan

[This message has been edited by tyeflies (edited 02 March 2005).]

+ Reply to Thread