Thread: Sinking puddy?

Threaded View

Best stuff I ever found was the original - Sticky Weight. Unfortunately, it's no longer made, but I heard about the demise of the product and picked up a lifetime supply many years ago before it disappeared.
    I haven't tried other brands, but the S/W is the best thing I ever added to my vest. It will stay on 5X tippet all day if you apply it right, and doesn't need a knot to stay in place. It pulls free when it wedges between rocks, which is how most rigs are lost, so has saved me many, many flies and hours of re-tying. And it's infinitely adjustable - you can add or take off as you need to. And, it's lead-free so legal in National Parks and eco-friendly.

But best of all, it doesn't weaken your tippet like split shot does. (Or chip your teeth putting it on!). That was the original reason I went to it.

And one other plus - it lasts forever! At the end of the day, just remove it from your line and replace it in the package and it'll melt right in with the rest and be there next trip. I thought I'd go thru a package every other year, but it lasts so well I have probably a dozen of the original 20 packs still left, and I've given about 6 away.

If I had to start searching for a product now, I'd try the Loon, the Shape-A-Wate (?), and whatever else is on the rack now and see which one suited my needs. Err toward too stiff rather thean too soft - you can, and should, always soften it up with your warm hands in cold weather. But I'd definitely try it. I just can't imagine being without it on lake or river. I'd leave my lunch at home before I'd leave my S/W.
    Last edited by idlerick; 12-21-2015 at 06:47 PM.