+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Chronimids

Blog Entries

Default Chronimids

Hi I tied some cronnies , they look ok . Do You think they would be better or worse if I coated them with head cement .
    I wondered because one that I bought recently was coated and shiny .
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

Hi Gnu, it all depends what you want from your chronomids, if you coat them with epoxy or varnish they will sink fast through the water, leave them plain and they sink slow, so it depends where the fish are in the water column. I use both depending on what the situation calls for. Hope this helps.

------------------
    Work is a means for people to afford their fishing.

Blog Entries

Thanks I will do both , I made plenty of them in quite a few different patterns . Some weighted some not . I will coat some and leave the others alone . I found the trout quite deep about 16 ft down , last fall during my first Chronimid fishing ever . A very kind Flyfisher showed me how to use cronnies last September . I have been hooked ever since .
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

Hi there
    I like tying my buzzers both with and without a coating on the bodies. I prefer Sally Hansens " Hard as Nails" over epoxy, as I find it thinner. Then I can control the amount of coats for thickness and weight.Though I mostly use bead heads to get the flies down in the zone. Why wait for that slow sinking fly when I could be catching a lunker?
    Uncoated bodies last about 4 or 5 fish and then their usually too chewed up and need replacing.

Joe

I cover all of my chironomids in epoxy. You want the look of the trapped gasses, and I find that not only does the epoxy help acheive this, it does help it sink faster, which is where you want them to be!

+ Reply to Thread