+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hen Hackle Questions

Default Hen Hackle Questions

I have a whole hen cape ( donated to me by FAOL member Grubb) and when I tie it on it is all matted together, is there anyway to fix it? or is that just the way hen feathers sit? Can anyone give me some good recipes for hen hackle?
    - thanks David

[This message has been edited by Flytyer317 (edited 28 February 2005).]

I assume you mean that the barbules stick together when you wrap them?

Hi David....what kind of fishing do you do? That would help with pattern suggestions. Also, what color or pattern is the cape?

Hen hackle is soft and webby. The webbed barbs cling to each other. This is not so good for dry flies, but very good for wet flies and nymphs. The webby barbs look messy on your vise, but look better under water.

Many nymph patterns use hen for legs, beards, or palmered hackle. Hen hackles are perfect for soft hackle flies. The collar on a prince nymph is a good place for hen.

Some people also use hen hackle for wings on dry flies.

What I use the Grizz cape for, wings...

Tim

------------------
    Spelling and Grammar not subject to judgement...
    "Because by the Grace of God I can, be on a beautiful mountain stream with a friend , have the water boil from a 12" Native Brookie taking a self tyed dry,and feel it on the end of my cane... It don't get no better than that..."

Flytyer317
    The physical characteristics of "hen hackle" vary quite a bit. Some hen neck hackle makes more than passable dry fly material. Here's an example of a dry fly tied with Whiting hen neck hackle from their Hebert/Miner line: [url=http://www.danica.com/flytier/swilliams/tups_indispensible.htm:081b0]http://www.danica.com/flytier/swilliams/tups_indispensible.htm[/url:081b0]

I also use hen saddle hackle for some wet flies, and have found that some products are better than others. Here's an example of a Yorkshire spider tied with hen saddle hackle from (again) Whiting's Hebert/Miner line: [url=http://www.danica.com/flytier/swilliams/dun_yellow_softhackle.htm:081b0]http://www.danica.com/flytier/swilliams/dun_yellow_softhackle.htm[/url:081b0]
    For some genetic reason that I can't explain the barbules that cause the barbs to cling togther are weaker with this particular line of hen saddle hackle than others that I've tried, including other Whiting products. The barbs separate easily when tying and don't tend to mat up when the fly becomes wet when fishing.

Keep exploring the use of hen hackle from different producers. It's comparatively inexpensive as hackle goes and I think you'll find a wide variety of charateristics and qualities that you can make use of.

Feenom, I usually fish for trout on the Clark Fork River, in Northern Idaho. And the cape I have is grizzly. Hope thats is helpful.
    - David

Hi David.....like Grubb said....grizzly hen is a standard dryfly wing for the Adams. The Gray Hackle Peacock is a nice wetfly. It consists of a short red yarn tail, peacock herl body, and a couple turns of grizzly hen for the collar. The longer feathers would be good for small Matukas. Have fun with it!........Jason

One possible unique experience I've hsd was with several Keough hen necks purchased for tying classes that were so oily that all the feather barbs were matted and stuck together. I discarded them after having been told by the supplier that hen necks were a very low profit and priority business. I've not had the problem with Whiiting necks however.

+ Reply to Thread