+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Two piece rods

Hybrid View

Default Two piece rods

When we pack to go fish I'm the only guy with two piece rods. Am I alone?
    "You must not be too greedy in catching your said game (fish), as in taking too much at one time...That could easily be the occasion of destroying your own sport and other men's also." Juliana Berners (1450)

Blog Entries

I have gotten rid of all my 2 piece rods due to travel constraints. In "the old days", a multi-piece rod didn't seem to cast as nice and smoothly as 2 piece rods. Now, they do. I really like the 5 piece Winston rods. They fit well in my luggage and fish like a dream.

Default Fish your two piece rods...

Two piece rods work fine. Unless you are traveling or have space constrictions, then fish your two piece rods. They are often cheaper, and there are fewer "loose ferrel" issues and pieces to keep up with. They are not as "cool", but at this point in your life, I hope that is no longer an issue for ya'.
    Never trust quotes you find on the internet.
    Thomas Jefferson

i have one 2 piece sage that i really like, i fish it mostly locally. When I go on the road with others i usually take a couple 4 piece rods because of space considerations. A 4 piece fits behind the seat of my truck a 2 piece does not
    Last edited by okflyfisher; 12-15-2015 at 08:15 PM.

I own a whole bunch of rods....north of 50 total.

I'd say that at least half of them are 2 piece rods. Some of my favorite rods were/are not available in a 4pc configuration. (e.g. the Orvis Far & Fine)

I've never flown to a fishing destination. I would rather drive, just to see the scenery and take in the sights.
    I know that's not a viable option for some folks. Luckily, I live in the midwest, so nothing is really much more than a whole day's drive.

I don't think that there is a whole lot of difference in the way that graphite rods cast in either a 2pc or 4pc design. There probably was a little while back. But rods are pretty darn good today. I would think that a lot of fisherman from many years ago would love the rods that we have available to us today.

I guess it would be "easier" to fix a 4pc rod as opposed to a 2pc rod too.

But all things being what they are, I think I would just as soon fish a 2pc as to a 4pc.

Brian

I have a couple of 4 pc, but probably 10 2 pc. Don't travel, and I appreciate the 3 seconds difference in stringing them up.

+ Reply to Thread