+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Wilderness Commander 120 thoughts?

Default Wilderness Commander 120 thoughts?

Okay, since my current boat has a gash that needs repairing, I stopped by a kayak store today to ask about repairs. No luck there, but I did ogle a Wilderness Commander 120 - nice boat! This has the triple hull, seems very stable, light and two seating options. Any one out there have any thoughts? I might want to put a trolling motor on also.
    Thanks,
    Mike

I have both a Commander 120 and a Frontier 12.
    Commander is a nice stable yak and the "captains perch" is nice to change seating positions, both feel stable to paddle.
    There are no scuppers so if used in rough water you will have to bail. I use a big natural sponge in the bottom to soak up paddle drips and keep things dry. I have sat on the sides and the secondary buoyancy keeps you from tipping. Small complain is there is no drain hole so the last bit of water stays in the gunnel rails when you tip it on land to dry it out.
    Good boat though, tracks well and is fast enough.

DuFf

Last edited by Duffin Boy; 12-08-2015 at 05:52 PM.

Thanks, I also have a Frontier 12 that needs a hull repair - long story. I'm curious, do you keep the scupper holes closed in the Frontier? I do, but I don't seem to notice a lot of water. I've done sone choppy stuff and been fine. My only concern with the Commander is the water coming aspect. Have to think at that. Two more questions - which is easier to paddle and which is easier to get in and out of?
    Thanks,
    Mike

Commander being more sleek is a faster boat but I don't need speed and the Frontier is easy to paddle and fairly maneuverable.
    Of course the Frontier is easier to get in and out of.....just step in...try that in most other kayaks.
    I keep the scuppers plugged but would pull the plugs if in rough water.

Thanks, I've decided to stick with the Frontier, your photos didn't hurt! Now, to get the hull fixed. I'm going to my local dealer just to see if he has a demo to get rid of!
    Thanks,
    Mike

If you don't mind saying, how did you damage you hull. I have a 10 ft. Frontier and would like to avoid doing the same thing. Just an FYI, I built me a little one it side cart to move by boat around in the basement, it works well enough I think it will lead to a storage rack for my garage as when stored on its side it only takes up a small part of the floor area.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

I certainly don't! When the boat was delivered, it got "forked" in the port side about 4" in front of the stern while in transit. The dealer had it patched and that held until this fall. I think Uncle Jesse you would have to be hard pressed to do it to yours! I am going to get a 10' demo Frontier this week. Same dealer, and as he said, "This one doesn't have a hole in the hull!" Plus - same color!
    I'm going to call a guy who repairs canoes and yaks for a place north of me. I'll let you all know what he has to say.
    Mike

Quick update - I just talked to a guy who I think will fix the 12' Frontier! Wahoo! Still going to get the 10', like Pringles, can't have enough!
    Mike

I dont have a yak...yet, but have seen videos on YT showing how to repair cracks in yaks and even build boats from the 55 gallon blue plastic barrels, the tools can be bought from harbor freight, may be something you do yourself for cheap, might be a good something to learn.

+ Reply to Thread