+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Squirrel Zonkers

Quote Originally Posted by john52948 View Post
    a couple years back, I got tired of paying high dollar for poor quality saddle hackle for making wooly boogers. I ran across a pattern on this web site called, a pine squirrel cheater. it uses zonked pine squirrel as its main ingredient. I toned it down a little bit by only using two wraps of zonked squirrel, and loop dubbing the remainder of the body.

I call it an unwooly booger, because it uses no hackle. its really just a pine squirrel cheater that has gone on a diet.

ive been using it for about 3 years now, don't even tye any wooly boogers any more, don't need them. no more high dollar hackle, and no more leader twist.

AMEN FYI http://flyanglersonline.com/fotw/2009/fotw20090921.php

a
    lso, j stockard, a sponsor here, has excellent whole zonked skins http://www.jsflyfishing.com/wapsi-pi...el-skin-zonked
    Last edited by pillcaster; 11-17-2015 at 12:14 AM.
    "Fishermen are born honest, but they get over it"
    Ed Zern

Jeff -

Thanks for posting the link to the PSC.

I haven't done a lot of streamer fishing this year, but I did today, in Northern Idaho. Temps in the low to mid thirties, snow flurries on and off, and a bit of ice in the guides late in the afternoon.

Three different spots in three hours - produced about 30 west slope cutts in hand, ranging from about 10" up to 17" on a sculpin olive PSC.

John

P.S. Spent the last couple hours fishing three other spots with FEB ( foam body version ) October Caddis and Salmonflies. Hooked up another ten cutts, finishing the day with the biggest fish of the day, at just over 18".
    The fish are always right.

Forgot to mention

The zonker strips shown might seem to be too short for a PSC. But you can do the PSC in sections - tie in a short piece for the tail and mid-body, then, after the rear of the fly is done, tie in a piece to wrap the forward body.

Also, for deeper and faster water, it can help to add some weight. I don't like beadheads and coneheads, so I use 10-12 wraps of .025 non-lead wire. If you aren't using a full sinking line or a sink tip, you probably do need to add some weight.

John
    The fish are always right.

That's because I cut alot of them cross-cut for tying jigs, I just got 5 tanned skins 4 greys and 1 pine from a guy on ebay and told him I can always use them

+ Reply to Thread