+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Squirrel Zonkers

Hybrid View

Default Squirrel Zonkers

Had a buddy send me a tanned fox Squirrel skin, parts of it had some shaved spots so I cut what I could into zonker strips and shaved the rest for dubbing.

Looking around for some decent priced tanned squirrel skins, I really like the looks of the strips from them.

Nice looking Zonkers. I really like to two tone multicolors of Fox Squirrels. Please post photos of some of the flies you tie with them.

Jim Smith

Quote Originally Posted by James Smith View Post
    Nice looking Zonkers. I really like to two tone multicolors of Fox Squirrels. Please post photos of some of the flies you tie with them.

Jim Smith
    What Jim said...

Thanks,
    Ed

nice looking stuff, will make for some good ties

a couple years back, I got tired of paying high dollar for poor quality saddle hackle for making wooly boogers. I ran across a pattern on this web site called, a pine squirrel cheater. it uses zonked pine squirrel as its main ingredient. I toned it down a little bit by only using two wraps of zonked squirrel, and loop dubbing the remainder of the body.

I call it an unwooly booger, because it uses no hackle. its really just a pine squirrel cheater that has gone on a diet.

ive been using it for about 3 years now, don't even tye any wooly boogers any more, don't need them. no more high dollar hackle, and no more leader twist.

Those are some nice zonker strips. Will make a nice two-toned Slumpbuster.

In trip to South Carolina I have seen the black squirrels with a white face, has anyone seen zonker strips made from this type of squirrel that can be purchased at fly shops? I can find dyed black pine squirrel zonkers but have not seen natural black squirrel zonkers.

Alberto

Quote Originally Posted by john52948 View Post
    a couple years back, I got tired of paying high dollar for poor quality saddle hackle for making wooly boogers. I ran across a pattern on this web site called, a pine squirrel cheater. it uses zonked pine squirrel as its main ingredient. I toned it down a little bit by only using two wraps of zonked squirrel, and loop dubbing the remainder of the body.

I call it an unwooly booger, because it uses no hackle. its really just a pine squirrel cheater that has gone on a diet.

ive been using it for about 3 years now, don't even tye any wooly boogers any more, don't need them. no more high dollar hackle, and no more leader twist.

AMEN FYI http://flyanglersonline.com/fotw/2009/fotw20090921.php

a
    lso, j stockard, a sponsor here, has excellent whole zonked skins http://www.jsflyfishing.com/wapsi-pi...el-skin-zonked
    Last edited by pillcaster; 11-17-2015 at 12:14 AM.
    "Fishermen are born honest, but they get over it"
    Ed Zern

+ Reply to Thread