+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cabela's Rod Sale

Hybrid View

Default Cabela's Rod Sale

In case anyone is interested, Cabela's is having a one day sale on their glass CGR flyrods. Normally $129.99 and on sale today only for $51.99. Plus they have free shipping on orders over $99.

Dave

Blog Entries

Dave,

Thanks for the tip. I placed one on order along with a pair of boots I needed. The rod will make a great silent auction item.

Larry ---sagefisher---

The 5/6 is on it's way. Too good of a price to leave it be.

What is the attraction to fiberglass rods? I'm not being a smart a--, I'd just like to be informed. Is it nostalgia? The glass rods I remember weren't very good compared to our graphite rods of today? There seems to be a market for them and I can't understand why.
    Please inform me. Maybe I'd be interested in one.

Blog Entries

Lastchance,
    I have a Hardy "Perfection" glass rod - old school. I can tell you that premium glass rods fish great. They tend to be slower......in fact, much like bamboo, but without the weight. The rod "play" upon a hook-up transfers much more "feel" than most higher tensile rods.
    For fishing big water, I much prefer today's high quality graphite/boron type rods with a lot more strength and a faster action.
    But, for smaller waters, a QUALITY glass rod can be very refreshing. In my opinion, of course.

A good, high quality glass rod is not the old, mass produced fiberglass rods that many of us old timers grew up using and were very happy when graphite came out. No question about that. But, high quality, great taper designed glass rods are light years ahead of the old Fenwick glass rods of the past.
    Last edited by Byron haugh; 11-15-2015 at 05:38 PM.

I have in the neighborhood of 20 vintage glass rods
    Contrary to popular opinion, they were not all the same quality or the same action.
    My first glass rod was a POS Conolon. I still have it but it's not worth using.
    I then graduated to a Lamiglas that my father built for me in '72. Big difference.
    Now-a-days, I'm more likely to be fishing a Phillipson or a JKFisher as anything else (Hardy used Fisher blanks) although there's a Garcia 9wt has been getting quite a work-out lately.
    It's not nostalgia with me, I had some quality glass rods when graphite came along so I never fully made the switch
    Last edited by dudley; 11-15-2015 at 05:51 PM.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Quote Originally Posted by lastchance View Post
    What is the attraction to fiberglass rods? I'm not being a smart a--, I'd just like to be informed. Is it nostalgia? The glass rods I remember weren't very good compared to our graphite rods of today? There seems to be a market for them and I can't understand why.
    Please inform me. Maybe I'd be interested in one.
    AGREE!!!! Nostalgia.

Blog Entries

lastchance,

Yep, nostalgia has a lot to do with it, and also, maybe more important, personal preference. The original 'fly' rod was a sapling or branch freshly cut from a tree or bush. Then they started tying saplings together to make the rod longer. Then bamboo showed up and everyone wanted one of those. Metal rods came into play for a short while, the fiberglass, then graphite and graphite/metal composites and so on. Each rod casts differently, has a different feel, thus personal preference.

When you look at how much some people pay for old restored cars at auctions, that really shows how much nostalgia plays into our choices.

Larry ---sagefisher---

Nostalgia can be part of it. But some like myself prefer the softer actions. My favorite graphite rod is an Orvis unsanded far-&-fine. Which by today's standards is closer to fiberglass than new generation graphite. I prefer the casting stroke most of all. But also the tippet protection and rod action when playing fish. I prefer glass over both boo and graphite. Especially some of the newer glass. I've never been a fan of faster graghite & I've bought and sold a good number of them over the years thinking i should. I much prefer the parabolic feel of a glass rod, from tip to cork.
    Last edited by NJTroutbum; 11-16-2015 at 01:06 PM.

How much money for a decent glass rod? How about a rod kit for building. I've never researched glass rods. I like a medium action for casting dries and a little backbone to with which to nymph.

+ Reply to Thread