I want to provide an update to help others out that may have the same quest.

I went to my local shop, FlySouth, and trialed a number of different rods yesterday. I think I'm probably a fairly average caster. I still get the occassional tailing loop when I get too quick or overpower the cast.

My routine was to cast to targets at ~30 feet, 45-50 feet, then longer casts with a double haul (~60-65), followed by tuck casts, reach casts, and then see how tight I could make the loops.

I trialed NRX, Radian, One, Accel, Mod all in 9' 4wt

NRX - for me almost automatic at 30'. There is feel, but probably a stiffer tip than some others (MOD, Accel). At ~45 feet, automatic. I could put the fly where I wanted it. Reach and tucks were no problem. I had no problem touching 65 feet with a double haul, unreal amount of power in this rod. It was crazy to me the range that this rod covered.

Radian - I thought this was going to be the rod going into testing. The tip is softer than NRX. I could feel the rod in close at 30', but I was not as accurate with this rod. It didn't seem to track quite as well. 45' was great, very smooth. There is definitely enough power to touch 65' no problem. Again a very versatile rod that would cover all bases. These rods are beautiful as well. Radian is very light in the hand.

One - Accurate for me at 30', but little feel. At 45-50' very accurate, very light, tracks true. Plenty of power to get to 65'. Overall a very light rod in the hand.

Mod - Different rod entirely from the above rods. Truly a slower action, Moderate is very accurate. Light in the hand. Tracks very true, and accurate. The action was not for me, but I like a faster rod.

Accel - Very nice rod. The action is between Mod and the others. Very approachable rod and easy to cast. Very accurate at all the distances, and really shined at 30' and 45'. No problem reaching 65' but not as much power as say the NRX/Radian/One.

For me, the NRX was best. When casting, I made the comment that "this one is fun to cast". For my application, an all around light tailwater trout rod, this rod checked all the boxes. Of course, I still need to fish it to be sure and hopefully I'll get out in the next week. I'll plan to report back with some on the water experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Byron haugh View Post
RALMD,
I think your three mentioned rods are ones you should choose from. My next rod will be an NRX.