+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 9' 4wt Rod Recommendations

Hybrid View

Default 9' 4wt Rod Recommendations

All, I've decided that I need to add a long light line rod to my arsenal and think a 9' 4wt would be ideal. The primary use would be for small dries as well as light nymphing (midges) in middle TN tailwaters.

I have a 9' 5wt Scott Radian that I truly enjoy fishing, but I sometimes feel over gunned when wade fishing which is what I do most of the time.

I've done some research on this forum and others and have talked to the guys at my local shop. I have it narrowed down at this time to Scott Raidan, Loomis NRX, one of the various Sage rods. I hope to be able to cast these rods later in the week.

Are they any others that I should consider?

Thanks!

I would not rule out the TFO BVK.

Quote Originally Posted by NJTroutbum View Post
    I would not rule out the TFO BVK.
    Agreed.

Ed

Only you can decide of course, but I'll second (third?) the BVK suggestion. It's a very impressive rod at its price point. Amongst the higher end rods, I have cast and liked the Radian, Sage One and Winston BIIIX as similarly versatile rods that would likely feel good casting dries but have plenty of backbone for nymphing too.

For medium and smaller streams I would try a TFO Finesse. I have the 4wt and love it for this type of fishing. for bigger water you may want to also look at the Scott S3. these can be got at a discount now.

Blog Entries

RALMD,
    I think your three mentioned rods are ones you should choose from. My next rod will be an NRX.

Blog Entries

RALMD11,

As my 'name' implies, I am partial to Sage rods, but Loomis and Scott also make decent rods, as do many other manufactures. For small dry fly casting I love my Sage Circa (a true slow action rod), but if you are going to use the rod for nymphing then I would suggest a medium rod, it can handle small dries and small nymphing rigs. If you are going to be casting heavy nymphing rigs with it I would suggest a medium-fast rod. No matter which you choose, I am sure you will like it, any that you mentioned would be good, but like I said, I am partial to Sage rods.

Larry ---sagefisher---

+ Reply to Thread