+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Messinger Frog eyes...

Default Messinger Frog eyes...

Back in the late eighties or early nineties one of the popular mags had an article on tying the Messinger frog. It gave instruction fot the unusual original method of fabricating the gold iris, black pupil bulbous eye that Joe Messinger used. I've gone through all my old magazines, but can't find it. Can anyone help? Thanks - Alec

Although I cannot find the original pattern in my library either, for an alternative I have used plastic animal eyes as a substitute. If unfamiliar with these, they are round solid plastic eyes with a black pupil. They come in different diameters and colours which are the closest to real looking eyes that I have ever found. I purchase them from Hunters Angling Supplies in Boston ( thanks to Alberto!) (www.huntersangling.com). $1.50 US for a pack of 18. I normally use yellow for my frogs with the size based on the pattern tied. I found they look best if the stem of the eye is clipped off and the eye glued into an indentation clipped out of the deer hair. Goop is my preferred adhesive for affixing them into the head of the frog.

------------------
    David Parker
    Guild Certified Professional Rod Builder

The eyes are make with thin clear plastic and acetone, cut the plastic into small pieces and place them in a air tight jar with the acetone let it set overnight.
    The plastic will turn into a milky white goo, you can mold this into the eyes and glue them into the deer hair, once in place hold you creation next to a light buld this will allow the eyes to expand.

Tight Lines Tuber

And the gold color? I think we're missing a step - thanks though! Alec

+ Reply to Thread