+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Foam and Dremel

Default Foam and Dremel

Hey all you dremel bug fans! I just built a dremel lathe and have an upholstery needle for the mandrel. I'm using a very light touch, and I know what a light touch is on a lathe. Still, the foam slips around. The only reference on FAOL I could find about this was a suggestion to use a lighter touch. Anyone have another solution? Maybe rough up the mandrel? Super glue? tacky wax?

Thanks for any wisdom.
    Diane

[This message has been edited by Diane (edited 04 February 2005).]
    "If I'm not going to catch anything, then I 'd rather not catch anything on flies" ... Bob Lawless

lchittam Guest

You may want to rough up your mandrel and keep your speed up.

Larry

email chevyvan37@aol.com for suggestions. Jack will set you straight.

-Zac

------------------
    The way to a flyfisherman's heart is through his fly

thanks, bass. i'll do that. already emailed Jim Hatch, too. I tried superglue tonight sand it works but it messes up the bug on the way off the mandrel a bit.

Diane
    "If I'm not going to catch anything, then I 'd rather not catch anything on flies" ... Bob Lawless

You could try a seam ripper that has the 2 teeth or another option is one of those corn cob holders. Just melt the plastic corn shape off and you're good to go. -Jeff

Diane,

I use a 1/16 drill bit in my Dremel. For the firmer foams, it holds well all by itself.

On the softer stuff, I use a drop of super glue. Use a twisting motion to take the body off after shaping and you'll reduce the tearing.

Good Luck!

Buddy

------------------
    Tie flies beyond the resistance of mortal trout!
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

first of all, it really depends on the type of foam. i find closed cell foam laminated into blocks to be the best, and then those little foam marshmallows. make sure when you put it on the lathe, you get it on right the first time and don't reposition it, and only move it in one direction when putting it on.

Hey Diane, I might have a solution for you. First by way of information. There are basically two designs in needles. A taper needle, which is just whatit says it is, a round needle shaft that tapers to a round point. This design is used for putting a needle through fabric, (or skin or other tissue in my work)without cutting or tearing the material. The other type of needle is called a cutting needle. This type of needle starts with a round shaft and is then forged into a triangle shape on the portion of the needle toward the tip. The edges of this triangle are then sharpened so that they cut through fabric, skin, tissue, rather than just pushing through without cutting. This may be the answer for your uses because of the triangle shaped area of the needle. It would probably keep the foamm from turning on the needle shaft. Not sure where one might find a cutting edge needle out in the general public, but I know where there might be a couple of them..he he he.. Send me a diret e-mail and I might be able to get one out to you to try.

------------------
    These are the idle thoughts that posses a man's mind when he's not able to fish.

Diane that address is ChevyVan37@aol.com
    Hopefully it doesnt matter if it does im sorry. Hopefully its not case sensitive

Sry
    -Zac

------------------
    The way to a flyfisherman's heart is through his fly

If you don't mind spending some money, Sleazy Steve sells a mandrel for turning foam poppers that works great. Essentially a block with three needles sticking out of it. One long one to hold the foam and two shorter ones on the sides to keep it from spinning.

Can't remember if he has a site or not but I'll look and post if he does.

Kevin

[This message has been edited by fly-chucker (edited 05 February 2005).]

+ Reply to Thread