+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Furled leaders

Default Furled leaders

Just curious...who here use them? Opinions?

I've been using them successfully for over a dozen years. I make my own and tailor them to fit different conditions. They seem to last forever (bad for the fly shops) and as I only have to change tippet for different conditions I just carry one or two spares.

I've been using them for at least 15 years, possibly a bit longer. I've gotten mine by swapping material, hooks or flies for them. Use them mostly in fresh water for trout, pan fish and bass. A little leery of using the ones made from tying thread in salt water. I have a couple made from fluorocarbon that I use in salt water.
    As Jack said they last forever and they turn over flies ranging from size 26 to 1/0 without a problem. Once I started using them I never went back to the hand tied mono or fluorocarbon leaders,

i have used twisted mono leaders made without a jig for a few years and like them real well. i just started making furled leaders with some help from people on this site.

Love 'em. Sombody told me to try them streamer fishing because "they will turn over a Volkswagen" I think he might be right, I just haven't found the eye of a Volkswagen to tie one onto.
    Last edited by Luke McLeod; 11-01-2015 at 05:43 AM. Reason: had more to say...
    Separate your observations from your preconceptions. See what is, not what you expect.

I have used furled uni leaders for about 6 years now and love them. But it's a love hate relationship. When they tangle.....they are nearly impossible to get "UN-tangled". That is my only complaint. Then again, the tangles are on me.

I prefer a braided leader, they hold floatant better, I get mine from Orvis, no twisting. They work almost the same.
    The man who coined the phrase "Money can't buy happiness", never bought himself a good fly rod!

Thank you guys, for your opinions. I also use them (not always) and they work really well. I made some in fluorocarbon (20ft of 15lbs test to make them) also and are really useful to put the streamers in the deep zone and to turn over Clouser Minnows, perfectly.

+ Reply to Thread