+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Furled leaders

Hybrid View

Default Furled leaders

Just curious...who here use them? Opinions?

I've been using them successfully for over a dozen years. I make my own and tailor them to fit different conditions. They seem to last forever (bad for the fly shops) and as I only have to change tippet for different conditions I just carry one or two spares.

I've been using them for at least 15 years, possibly a bit longer. I've gotten mine by swapping material, hooks or flies for them. Use them mostly in fresh water for trout, pan fish and bass. A little leery of using the ones made from tying thread in salt water. I have a couple made from fluorocarbon that I use in salt water.
    As Jack said they last forever and they turn over flies ranging from size 26 to 1/0 without a problem. Once I started using them I never went back to the hand tied mono or fluorocarbon leaders,

i have used twisted mono leaders made without a jig for a few years and like them real well. i just started making furled leaders with some help from people on this site.

Love 'em. Sombody told me to try them streamer fishing because "they will turn over a Volkswagen" I think he might be right, I just haven't found the eye of a Volkswagen to tie one onto.
    Last edited by Luke McLeod; 11-01-2015 at 05:43 AM. Reason: had more to say...
    Separate your observations from your preconceptions. See what is, not what you expect.

I have used furled uni leaders for about 6 years now and love them. But it's a love hate relationship. When they tangle.....they are nearly impossible to get "UN-tangled". That is my only complaint. Then again, the tangles are on me.

+ Reply to Thread