+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fly Rod Deals

Default Fly Rod Deals

Wal-Mart sells the Orvis Green Mountain Fly rod combo for $119.95. That comes with a balanced large arbor reel, although it doesn't LOOK like the new fancy large arbors, IT IS a large arbor reel, equipped with (already wound on) backing, floating 6wt wf line, leader on a 9' med flex 6wt rod. Got one on sale yesterday for $49. For Large Arbor equipped reel and rod, that is a good deal to me. $70 off. Just FYI

------------------
    Plain old Jim, I'm Plain...and I'm old.

That is a good deal, they must have been setting mods. If they carry other flyting stuff ask for the sporting goods dept. mgr. ask him what time of year do they set there mods. That's when they clearance out stuff. I'v gotten Cortland fly line 333 for 5 bucs. My store does'nt sell much flystuff anymore, but if yours does, you should get great prices every year on stuff. Wal-Mart is'nt like the little guys, when it's time to go, it's gotta go now, boom, mark it down to nothing to get rid of it...

Tim

------------------
    Spelling and Grammar not subject to judgement...

[This message has been edited by Grubb (edited 23 February 2005).]
    "Because by the Grace of God I can, be on a beautiful mountain stream with a friend , have the water boil from a 12" Native Brookie taking a self tyed dry,and feel it on the end of my cane... It don't get no better than that..."

Jim, I picked up a combo 9' 6wt from Walmart a
    couple of years ago to have something inexpensive to take on the boat when my and I go spin fishing. I'm not sure if the rod is an
    Orvis will have to check on that. The combo casts and generally works ok but found the
    striper guide to be too far ahead and it lends
    to having the line race back down the guides if
    you hold the rod at 45 or less. So to avoid
    that problem from the boat I use it with side
    casts rather than overhead casting.

"Wal-Mart is'nt like the little guys..."

That's a double-edged sword and the very reason we have less little guys.

Jefffie...Orvis just started putting there fly fishing equipment in Wally World this year..So I don't believe you have there combo...

Hackletip

Had to wait for the wife to wake up before I could start rootin' through stuff.

The rod is a Shakespeare Alpha XT Graphite and
    is an 8' #5 or #6 line recommendation.
    It could very well be this is one rod inparticular is bad. I bought it with the
    thought it's only gonna be short time till I
    step on it in the boat.

The Wally World where Plain Ol'Jim resides is smack dab in the middle of Arizona's mountain fly fishing country. Not surprizing if they have a fairly extensive fly fishing inventory. I'd guess that the next sale up there won't happen until just before the ice freezes up late next Fall.

------------------
    Snow on the roof with fire in the hearth

Hey Silvertop....I need to check the Wally up here because wife intends to fly fish when she gets back to health (from cancer surgery and chemo) For that price I would buy a couple more. I got that deal in the valley at the Mesa store while on one of her checkup trips to the valley. I know the wally up here had 5 of them. I better go check. Silver, you know where I are....where are you?

------------------
    Plain old Jim, I'm Plain...and I'm old.

the other day i was at wally world. and they had flies for .75

+ Reply to Thread